Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

air brakes

IHC 66 ยท 2015-03-26 16:14

I have purchased a 1976 gmc 9500 series diesel dump truck with air brakes on both rear axles. It has both air knobs yellow being parking the other red being trailer supply there are no glad hands or air lines exiting the rear of truck. My question is where would I go to get the information on how to install the lines and glad hands so I can pull a trailer with air brakes which I already have . Any information would be very much appreciated ! Thank You IHC 66

Replies4
  1. #1Former Wrench2015-03-26 16:33

    an easy way to do this is to crawl under yours and look at the plumbing. Then find another truck that is set up to pull a trailer. Copy that model and also look at the electric for the trailer lights.

  2. #2repowerguy2015-03-26 18:16

    Most trucks I have seen have bulkhead fittings on the cab rear side,look for some pipe plugs on the back of the cab.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2015-03-27 00:39

    There should be the tractor protection valve near the back of the cab somewhere and that should be a slam dunk to connect to if it is installed.

  4. #4IHC 662015-03-28 12:15

    I have located this valve so all I need to do is run the lines to back of the truck . Thank you for the information ! IHC 66