Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

96 Cat 426b where do all these control valve orings go?

Johnel ยท 2020-11-13 18:38

Hey all! The swing stopped working on the Cat 426b backhoe/loader Im working on, so I pulled the 2 resolvers on either side of it and there was only a small piece of oring left, on the very bottom of the stem. I bought new orings for it, but there is no diagram with em and they are 5 different sizes and 2 colors. I pulled the swing resolver itself, hoping for a reference, but most of them are gone too! Ive found several diagrams online, but they are in black n white and not clear enough to tell the different sizes. Does anyone out there have a clear diagram of these orings and resolvers that I can go by? I need to do the bucket also, dont know if they are the same or not. Thanks a lot for any help!

Replies9
  1. #1Johnel2020-11-15 20:39

    Come on guys, dont tell me nobodys done this job themselves before? Doesnt anyone know how to replace the orings on the control valves?

  2. #2heymccall2020-11-15 22:55

    I picked a 5yj serial number

  3. #3heymccall2020-11-15 22:58
  4. #4Johnel2020-11-16 09:46

    Thanks heymccall! Your diagrams are a lot clearer than the ones I got. Still cant tell for sure which sizes go where, but you gave me the info about the valve upgrade, which Id rather have and would solve the problem!

  5. #5Johnel2020-11-17 09:38

    Got it figured out! The parts list you sent me had part numbers that matched a line of numbers on each oring bag. Feeling dumb now! Got 3 resolvers done yesterday. Still got the 3 ck valves to do, then the same for the bucket unit. Hope to get done tday. The middle orings are pretty hard to get in place, without damaging them.

  6. #6s.mil2020-11-17 11:58

    Soaking them in warm hydraulic oil might soften them up and make it easier to get them in place.

  7. #7Johnel2020-11-17 13:32

    Good idea! But now I have another problem. I got the hoe resolvers done, but on the bucket bank of valves, I could only get 1 cover completely off, to get the valve out. The other 2 wont come off enough to get those 2 out. One seems to be held on by a little stem, with a spring on it. Cant tell, if theres a tiny clip, or not, and the other, just doesnt want to slide over whatever kind of "sleeve", or"housing", thats on the inside of it! Anybody know what Im talking about? I need to get this fixed. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks guys!

  8. #8Johnel2020-11-17 14:05

    Ok, I got the housing off that had the electric wire plugged into it. It had a little c-clip, holding on a "plate", with a little spring. Fixing to overhaul that valve. Orings are busted. Still need to find out how that last one is held one. Anyone know?

  9. #9Johnel2020-11-17 14:33

    Yea! I got it! After I loosened it up, (again), I reached up with one hand and pushed the top of the housing away from the valve, as much as I could, while turning the housing back n forth, and the valve dropped out into my hand! Im posting all this in hopes it helps someome in the future. I figure thats what these forums are supposed to be for. They have sure helped me a lot.