Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

96 jcb 214

she does that ยท 2013-07-02 09:17

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! My JCB column shifter won't tell the transmission to go in forward or reverse. How can I get them to communicate again. I already have the steering wheel off but I'm not seeing any obvious issues that could be causing the trouble. Thanks in Advance Diana

Replies6
  1. #1robin yates uk2013-07-03 00:46

    have you checked the relevant fuse , try and wiggle it around a bit or replace if blown of course.

  2. #2watglen2013-07-03 04:16

    Mine did that. It failed slowly so it became clear it was the actual lever. Worked in reverse, sometimes not in forward. Clicking it back and forth would get it going again. Inside the lever is a couple microswitches. Couple dollars for parts. Pretty simple to fix yourself. Ken

  3. #3LT-x72013-07-03 10:57

    Its interesting it seems these JCB backhoes all have the same problems...... Ive replaced the forward reverse lever/switch also. But the electrical part of mine worked fine, the linkage that pushed the micro-switches bound up and I broke the shift lever off in my hand. I ended up finishing the job I was on with a screwdriver pushing the appropriate micro switch. I agree it wasn't horribly difficult to fix, but i wouldn't consider it even close to cheap.

  4. #4she does that2013-07-04 11:11

    Sounds like we have the same, do what ya gotta do get the job done mechanic skills. I sure hope it's just the switches. Thanks for the info . I'm happy with easy fixes. If ya think about what it costs to have someone else fix it, the price is considrably cheaper. Diana

  5. #5she does that2013-07-04 11:18

    Do you know if the fuse is a cube shape or is it the average 5, 10, 30 amp type. My manual isn't quite specific enough to direct me to the exact fuse. I have cheched the smaller fuses and all of them are good? Diana

  6. #6robin yates uk2013-07-04 19:39

    the fuses I was referring to are the 5,100,30 type. Also removal of drive fuses makes an excellent anti theft device