i have a mid 80s 963 06z machine machine bogs and I have determined its a fuel issue but I have no idea whats going on I have changed the 2 filters and still the same also the throttle lever when its wide open the injection pump is full open but when you slide the lever about inch forward the engine dies it has no low idle
You have two options, either unclog the fuel system, or test it by hooking up a vacuum/pressure gauge upstream of the injection pump, and then most likely unclogging the fuel system. You could have stuff clogging the pickup in the tank, a screen at the inlet to a transfer pump or filter, a clog of junk in an elbow. Maybe even a plugged return line? Definitely any rubber hoses could be collapsing internally. Have you tried the priming pump to see how much it squirts? Another diagnostic method is to use a temporary can of fuel instead of the tank, even an electric transfer pump and different filter.
My bet, would be the fuel pickup line from the tank. Lift the cab, on the right side of machine you can look down and see the fitting. It just snaps into the plastic fuel tank. Be careful after you get it popped loose from the tank when lifting it out. The drop hose may still be hooked to the fitting but broken.
You you changed both filters. Did you inspect/ replace the bowl and bolt seals on this assy? I've had many an issue with seals on this separator assy. Replaced all mine with stanadyne fm-100 equivalents. But, you can can buy the seals. Air suck under operation was my issue.
& the banjo bolts & elbows will collect debris..
I thought he was working on a Bobcat.... sorry .
thanks for the replies I have checked all the fittings and lines blowed the lines out the only thing that puzzles me is the hand pump I left the line loose going to the the lift pump (no fuel ran out) and pumped the hand pump and I could never get fuel to come out that line but I hooked everything back up engine started right up but stills boggs
I borrowed a fuel gauge and checked the pressure its at 50lbs at full throttle my buddy thinks its the injector pump governor
Cant say weather that's right or wrong w/o knowing what injection pump you have.. any pictures/links?
That is the correct ballpark pressure.. 3304engine?? that sux.. not a whole lot we can do w/ that, as far as taking it apart.. 1 more thing to rule out fuel supply.. after it bogs down, does it almost kill the engine?? IF so.. get it to its worst point & shut it off.. Now remove that filter by the inj. pump & see if its full.. if its empty, you know you still have a fuel supply problem..
How have you determined this? Can you elaborate on this?
when you crowd the bucket back and hold the lever after the bucket is the way back it pulls the rpm way down that's why I say a fuel issue and the throttle lever at wide open it runs wide open it will idle down but has very little of travel my buddy said it should be able to idle at the hard spot in the lever then push it pass that hard spot to shut the engine off and I have remove the linage and ran the machine with only the injector pump no linkage you have to hold the throttle at nearly wide open to run
OK. Fair call. So you're saying that if you move the governor lever to the regular idle position, the engine stalls, right? Where are you measuring 50psi fuel pressure? How many hours on the engine?
I'm measuring pressure from a plug in the filter housing where the sending unit is in the picture
Yes engine stalls out the governor has a very short range of motion the rpm reduces by nearly half at full throttle when you crowd the bucket and hold
I'm not on engine hrs but no blow by are use oil
50 PSI fuel pressure at full throttle. Is that "high idle", full speed no load? You want the pressure measured when the engine is stumbling, almost dead, too. What kind and color of smoke does it blow? Not being able to get fuel from the hand pump is not a good sign.
50 lbs at full throttle only dropped slightly under load has black smoke under load
Black smoke under load while stalling? I'm stumped.
Did this problem come on suddenly or has it been getting worse over time?
It's very light smoke more of a trace
I bought the machine 5 months ago and it had this problem already
has anybody messed with the injection pump? Does it run evenly on all cylinders, or maybe sound a little clankier than it used to? edit: Ok gotcha, no history on the machine past five months then. Compression test and injectors test, or just loosen them one at a time to see what happens.
No it been the same since I got it machine sounds good the injector pump throttle lever when you hold it wide open when not running and let go of it makes a clanking noise inside the pump
You could possibly have a parasitic load from the transmission, but it's unlikely. Does the machine drive OK? Does the transmission whine in neutral? Other than that, it's beginning to sound like a problem in the pump. Either worn pump elements, worn camshaft or something wrong in the governor. Personally, I would take the governor apart to check if there's anything amiss, but that's just me. It can be done without removing the pump from the engine. How mechanically minded are you?
The trans is all in good shape I thought it was a underdrive problem it's all in good shape. I'm fairly well mechanical inclined I've always worked on my trucks and equipment. Sometimes I get stumped on something new to me
Is it possible that the throttle linkage being out of adjustment , the way it shuts off without hitting the idle stop etc , the linkage could be keeping it from going to full high idle? Is the over travel spring on the throttle linkage frozen up?
No throttle linkage is all good it does the same thing with the linkage disconnected