Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

963 loader- 18Z track loader got a few questions

Smorris2624 · 2022-09-05 22:31

Ok y’all, new guy here. I’ve got a 963 loader, 18Z serial number. Couple of things I need to know. 1- the splitter box. What’s all in there. Fluid level is fine. Doesn’t gain or lose fluid. But the dipstick does show signs of something either wearing, or dirty. What all is inside the splitter box that can give issues 2- brakes. Steering feels “grabby”. As in, wot, running fast it’s fine. But trying to finesse it in tight quarters can be tricky. It just doesn’t feel super smooth. All fluids are clean, no other issues (just rebuilt left final drive) The machine has plenty of power, hydraulics work great, runs all day no issues. Doesn’t slow down when hot. Just feels like the brakes don’t fully disengage when turning at slow speeds and it’s jumpy. When you let off the right or left pedal you can feel it release and speed up. Oh, and it’s not a pedal issue with the actual pedals. Those have been cleaned and work very well. Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2022-09-06 15:03

    The attached may be of some use to you. I'm sure that someone may be able to comment in more detail. Do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it.? You might find it useful. They usually cost around $50 to download.

  2. #2Smorris26242022-09-06 18:25

    No manuals yet. I need to get one. Thanks for the reply. I’ll check it out.

  3. #3Nige2022-09-07 05:20

    The Maintenance Manual is SEBU5847. You can download a copy from https://catpublications.com for $30. Log in as a Guest and you can have the download within 5 minutes. That transmission is particular about oil type. The recommendation is an SAE 10W hydraulic.