sorry for butting in I am a new member and have a few questions. I have recently bought a 1993 963 and it tracks to the left. I have adjusted the tracks according to the manual with no luck. It also runs about half as fast in reverse as it does in forward. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. thank you and sorry for the post
Welcome to the Forums Les806! Forum rules require a new member to make 3 posts before you can start a thread in order to keep the spammers out. I moved your first post to it's own thread, good luck with fixing your problem.
OK, I don't have much experience with the 963's but I've got some seat time in them. The problem with it tracking to the left won't be caused by your track adjustment though. You've more likely got a speed sensor out on the that hydrostatic drive motor or an electrical problem with it. I am just going by my experiences with the G series dozers cause like I say I haven't worked on this model. There could be other things like bottom rollers locked up or bent track frame or hydrostatic drive problems but I'd look at this first. Start at the simplest point and diagnose it before you start replacing parts. Also, you should have a high speed and a low speed switch as far as your trouble with it reversing only half as fast as forward. Are you in high or low? I'd say that the previous owner had the dealer set the reverse that way for his preference. If they're like the G dozers, the dealer can hook up a laptop to the machine and preset the minimum and maximum speeds as well as the ratio of reverse compared to forward speed. Find a good mechanic that has the Cat diagnostic software for the machine on a laptop(may have to go to dealer) and have them plug it in and see what's going on. First thing I'd do is look in the operation manual and see if they give any trouble shooting advice in there about tracking to the left. Does it give a fault code of any kind? There are other guys on here that know them inside out and will able to narrow it down a lot better than me, but this is a good start.
Les you could have one of 2 problems going on. Hopefully the Hydro-trans unit is just out of adjustment. If you look in the engine compartment, inbetween the back of the engine and the cover on top of the hydro trans there should be 4-5 plugs. inside the cover behind those plugs are adjustment screws. I'm going to have to find my litte notebook that tells which plug does what before you get in there and get to turning stuff. The other scenario is that you could be looking at a track motor going bad. A case drain test can tell you that. If you're still interested I'm gonna go search through my maze of stuff and try to find the magic notebook to help you out lol
It pulls to the left going forward but what about in reverse? Is this an A or B model? No need for a laptop with this machine, no electronics on it, its all mechanical.
I have seen open cab 963A machines get a sticking steer pedal, one pedal doesn't come all the way back up causing that track to be slower and turn the machine while driving.
had a bit of tracking problem with mine which was mostly caused by the ball joints seizing up under the cab, as atco said pedal would stick. No adjustment necessary in this case just a good thourogh cleaning, followed by a soaking in spray lube.
Only the C series and D series have 2 different speeds