Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

963b or 963c? Pros and Cons.

abouttogobroke ยท 2009-12-29 20:01

Just discovered this forum and am really enjoying it and learning alot too. My brother and I own a small construction outfit and have just sold our 941 the other day and are in the market for a 963. We would like to jump to an excavator and a dozer but dont feel like that would be wise to take on that much debt in this current construction market. With that being said we felt that the 963 would buy us some time with less debt load. Would really like to hear what you boys think of the 963b and 63c. For us to be able to afford a 963c we would have to give up a cab and would have to get a higher hour machine, which I have no problem with if thats a smarter move. Seemed to me that the 963b had less electronic parts to have problems with but that may not be an issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies9
  1. #19420pullpan2009-12-29 22:19

    I have run both series and i prefer the B series over the C. I think it mainly has to do with the HPCU (trans). I like the feel of it a little better, feels like it has more power to me. Probably more mental than anything. Another feature about the B series that I prefer is that the implements and the trans have separate reservoirs, this means no contamination from leaky cylinders. To rebuild the HPCU costs @ 30-40K. The C series has a 2 spd, implements and trans are in the same loop, contamination issues. To rebuild pumps and motors @ 10-20k. The cab is more comfortable but it also has a lot more electronics. I would look for a late 90's "B" model, they made them upto 1999. some good low hr machines 1998 CAT 963B 1995 CAT 963B 1995 CAT 963B What do you the Burnout

  2. #2Burnout2009-12-30 00:20

    The HPCU and the Hyd system don't share tanks on the C series machines do they? I thought the 63C series had the same tank up front for the hyd system that the 73's have. And then a seperate resevoir for the HPCU and sep. tank for the pump drive and then the hyd pump driven off the HPCU?

  3. #3ih1002009-12-30 06:10

    On the C I believe the hystat and implement circuits share the same tank, the D's definitely do. The C's fuel system can suffer from high injector wear, and as the cab doesn't tilt the injectors are a pig to change. On the D's the fuel system is far superior and Cat have reverted to a tilting cab. None of which helps you, but I'd definitely go with B if it was my money. By the way, if you're doing fine grading the 953 is superior as the 963B had servo (pilot) hydraulics which were lacking in feel compared to the contemporary 953. Just my 0.02 pounds worth.

  4. #4abouttogobroke2009-12-30 10:07

    Thanks for everyones input so far hope to hear more.

  5. #5excavator222009-12-31 13:55

    I would go with the 53B or 63B mainly cause of the computers in the C's. I have talked with owners of the C's and they would go back to the B's if they had the chance, but they have too much money in the C's to try and go back right now. Most of them have said the travel is slower along with less overall power. Wishing things were good here to get a 53, maybe not now but it will get better for all of us.

  6. #6qball2009-12-31 14:03

    the b's grade much better in my humble opinion. they have a great flat bottomed bucket and great power and response. if given a choice i would rather have a non cabbed b than a loaded c.

  7. #7Burnout2009-12-31 15:26

    The flat bottom MP bucket is also available on the C and D series.

  8. #8Deere96702009-12-31 15:32

    Haha.....I knew it would only be a matter of time before burnout had to show-off

  9. #9Burnout2009-12-31 15:34

    LOL well I just knew I had a pic of that shiny 53C I used to run. rofessor