Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cleaning of Steering clutch plates

JimInOz ยท 2009-12-22 02:46

I'm repairing the (dry) steering & bevel on a Mitsubishi BS3F Track loader. I found the fibres & metals to be almost at new spec(thickness),so wish to re-use them.They are OEM plates & good quality. There has been oil from the bevel case getting thru the seals & onto the steering system.To make things worse,the previous owner couldn't work out why the machine wouldn't steer...so he over-greased a bearing until the steering case is almost swimming in grease & bevel oil. I have cleaned the fibre discs with a cotton rag & they cleaned up OK. I'd like to ensure they are really clean ,so looking for cleaning advice. I have heard of guys putting fibres in an oven & baking the oil away. Any other suggestions? I have a mild metal cleaning acid,which would be good for cleaning up the metal discs....will this be OK to use on the fibres?? Also,the brake band lining is in good order....except for the oil. I need to clean it up too... Thanks for your thoughts, Jim

Replies7
  1. #1John C.2009-12-22 18:36

    We usually cleaned them in solvent and then blow dry with air. Good Luck!

  2. #2alrman2009-12-22 23:23

    Jim, Brake cleaner in spray cans - work a treat. If they are real bad (ones in photo seem ok) a bit of flame from oxy torch always draws oil out.

  3. #3JimInOz2009-12-22 23:58

    Thanks John & Alrman, I think I'll try the brake cleaner & see if more is required. Because the discs look clean,I'm unsure how much oil/grease they have absorbed. Alrman,is that your Case dozer.? Are you getting a good run from it ? Thanks Jim

  4. #4alrman2009-12-23 00:33
  5. #5bubbagoat2009-12-25 12:43

    I'd go with the spray brake cleaner degreaser as well, it has done wonders for me in the past. I don't think I would bake them. Glad to see you are rescueing the BS3F/

  6. #6ianoz2009-12-25 23:31

    Hi Jim ,I got some brake clean from repco store 5 bucks a can sounded like a bargin . ian.

  7. #7JimInOz2009-12-27 01:35

    Thanks for all the replies.I've decided to just use the brake clean & just see how they clean up. Ian,that is a good price...I just paid $12 for a spray can ,& my store had no bulk tins. Have a good break, Jim