Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

963C 2002 year Issues

Dickjr. · 2020-04-23 22:59

I don't have the s/n in front of me but will get it. The machine needs some adjustments and trouble shooting. The engine needed repair the cylinder head was leaking. After a new gasket was installed the head was checked and put back together. Now it turns over and will finally start after you try it 3 or 4 times. Timing was set by local dealer. They said the rack was bent and the tech tried to straighten it. Next the hydraulics seem slow. The travel and steering are not right either. It is sluggish and wants to steer to the right. When pushing against a pile the track will break traction but the tracks are quivering not a steady roll. We are warming the machine but this is the way it acts all day. The hour meter shows 5500. Not sure if that is right , the bucket has some play and the loader controls have a lot of play. I will check for service codes and get the s/n tomorrow or over the weekend. Just curious if others encountered similar issues. I am suspect that at one time it was run low of hydraulic oil. This machine uses one reservoir for travel and implement I think.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2020-04-23 23:05

    First questions. Do you have a manual for it and are you aware of the specific oil requirements, especially for the drive system..? If you don't have a manual I suggest you get one PDQ. S/N (it'll be a 2DS or a BBD prefix) will lead to the Cat Publication Number for the correct manual. They're about $50 to download from Cat.

  2. #2Dickjr.2020-04-23 23:11

    After replacing hoses etc , we refilled it with Marathon 10W. I have a feeling I will need a tech out with the correct test equipment to check fuel pressure then move to the drive and test pressures there as well. A manual is on order. I am more familiar with the 2ZN 953C. Just shooting off the hip I figured this was same system operations just bigger.

  3. #3Dickjr.2020-04-23 23:15

    Machine was bought early last fall at auction. Ran it 10 hours then had head issues. someone spent time putting a nice paint job on it which is always suspect but they spent the money for a new bottom minus the pads. Just a little background info on it.

  4. #4Nige2020-04-23 23:17

    Ah, a 10-gallon special........... If you have experience with a 953C you'll be able to leverage most of that. You'll obviously be aware of the oill requirements for the drive system. You need CMark, HEF's resident track loader expert, to walk you through the power train side. You can do Power Train calibrations using the switches under the arm rest but you'll probably need to get the engine basics right first.

  5. #5cb752020-04-29 01:25

    May need to be calibrated. It’s not too terribly hard to do, just kinda aggravating some times. What part of Ky are you working in? I have access to a laptop with ET. I’m in the northern part of the state. Depending on your location I could possibly take a look at it.

  6. #6Dickjr.2020-05-28 13:38

    cb75 I may take you up on that , it been on the back burner for a while. I have a feeling there is a fuel power issue that needs correcting and want to address it all at one time.

  7. #7Nige2020-05-28 14:02

    Everything on that machine can be calibrated using the three switches under the armrest. It doesn't need a laptop or ET. It does however require a person who knows exactly what he's doing driving the switches, and I don't even include myself in that category. Calibration should be the last thing on your mind at the outset, the basics like maximum engine RPM need to be sorted first. Send a PM to Cmark and ask him to weigh in with 2c. Maybe he hasn't seen the thread.

  8. #8Cmark2020-05-29 05:00

    Yep. As Nige said, first thing's first. Correct engine RPM is vital. Bad starting immediately rings alarm bells. A MUI engine in good condition should start with the proverbial half-a-turn.