Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 955L 4 in 1 bucket or blade

syrupcreek · 2020-04-26 15:12

Picked up a 955L with reg 2.5 yrd.bucket I am trying to find out if other manufacturers or diff. Model cats had same pin up, so I can search for a 4 in 1 Bucket or straight dozer blade for this. Not finding any 955L 4 in 1 buckets in the West at this time, Thanks

Replies15
  1. #1DMiller2020-04-26 18:21

    4/1 will drop capacity by close to a third, using for a blade is not all that swift either. Need a dozer buy a dozer or find a motor grader cheap if doing grade work.

  2. #2Metalman 552020-04-26 19:30

    Agreed, putting a blade onto a loader frame is not the best solution, unless you have a specific reason for needing it that way. Grading with a dozer blade pinned to the loader frame is not going to make for easy grading. Perhaps we can compare that to grading with the bucket tipped forward with the cutting edge facing down...……..not the easiest to hold grade because of the geometry of how the loader frame is pinned to the machine so high up.

  3. #3DMiller2020-04-26 20:43

    Not like a Dozer when butt end tips Up and nose Down can fairly quickly compensate on controls as working off truck height. With loader the geometry is all wrong. Kinda Curious now what is the intent.

  4. #4Nige2020-04-27 15:19

    Another thing to consider. Is there a 3rd valve already installed on your machine to operate the 4-in-1 bucket..?

  5. #5Welder Dave2020-04-27 17:27

    What type of jobs do you want a 4 in 1 bucket for?

  6. #6JimInOz2020-04-29 00:39

    In Australia,a large percentage of Crawler Loaders have a 4in1 & rippers. All the 955Ls I operated had a 4in1 & ripper.Makes a handy machine exteremely versatile. I'm amazed they are not so common in the USA. If you adapt a 4 in 1 bucket to fit,you need to get pin placement correct,so the bucket lays over & returns with no geometry issues.(with apron open). I remember seeing a 953 or 963 on this site,with a blade out front,although it was fitted with tilt/angle . .

  7. #7DMiller2020-04-29 07:45

    Took my 4/1 OFF and installed a GP, too much weight out front.

  8. #8syrupcreek2020-04-29 10:17

    THANKYOU guys, I did view a few videos of dozing with the bucket in dump angle and I'm sure that will work for some road clean up ect. Just around the ranch. Does anyone have info on ser# 8Y2454

  9. #9Nige2020-04-29 10:40

    Built 14th November 1980. What else are you looking for..? Do you have any manuals for it yet..?

  10. #10DMiller2020-04-29 12:48

    As far as swapping bucket, the only pin on will come off another Cat or be New with Cat pin locations.

  11. #11Welder Dave2020-04-29 14:23

    Be careful dozing with the bucket in dump position. You can bend or even break the bucket cylinders in hard material.

  12. #12bam19682020-04-29 15:10

    In my area there are numerous 963's, 977's and a few 973's with blades on them. They are used mainly for terracing and have proved to be very efficient in doing so. But there are some jobs where they don't work as well as a dozer mainly because of the way the blade is mounted on the dozer arms. One example would be digging a hole to bury some tree stumps etc. With a blade they just can't dig down like a regular dozer. Especially if your work area is limited. A couple months ago a guy was trying to sell a blade that had mounts for a 953 which I would assume would be different than a 955. But if you were desperate for a blade and a couple thousand mile roadtrip it would be an alternative.

  13. #13DMiller2020-04-29 16:08

    I will Back drag with the bucket on mine, for grade I use it flat to grade and skin off as I go forward.

  14. #14syrupcreek2020-04-30 08:03

    Thanks for the info, eventually will need a lube/oper. Manual

  15. #15Nige2020-04-30 10:53

    Go here - https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=08y02454 The manual is available in CD or in paper form at between $50 & $60. The same company also has an eBay shop that often sells manuals for less than the prices on their web site.