Just bought the machine, and was said that it wouldnt steer anyone know where to buy a used final or aftermarket final parts? the only thing I could find aftermarket was planet gears and I kinda need more than that lol I have 963c's with 14k hours on them and havent suffered a final failure, I would guess a cowboy operator and ripper is a bad combo. Oh, and a Used final is $8k Pj
Nasty looking! I was thinking a few bearings might sort you out, til i seen the sun gear! And other gears and cogs
Yep that I saw that destroyed sun gear on the shaft as well. That's some messed up components.
lol trashed aint it. from what I can figure, the two bearings on one of the planets went and then it allowed the sun to come out of mesh with the other 2 plantes and started a nasty chain of events. not real sure as to why the sun gear has the center of the splines worn.......musta been the trash running through it? Pj
I forgot to add, I am a little nervous about not tearing down the rest of the unit clear to the speed reducer and cleaning and inspecting, but my plan as of now is to power wash it down real good, put it back together, fill it with deisel lift the tracks off the ground with the ripper/bucket and give 'er a spin for a minute or so then drain, Figured I would repeat the process till fuel is clean, maybe even change the oil a couple of times during the first day of operation. Pj
Hmmm that looks quite familiar. We had 4 973C's with less than 800hrs all have the exact same failure, that was a bad batch of finals and was all covered by Cat. How many hours on that unit?
theres 7500hrs on this one. probably not the case here but good thinking tho Pj
You do realize...that's one of those little questions that'll nag at you until you go insane. :Banghead :yup
lol, I gurantee it! Pj
Sorry to let you down with another post that isn't directing you at an answer, but what was it like when that final went? Did it "feel" different or did that track not spin at all?
lol, that's fine Tigerotor The left track just went dead,.....it would catch and pull itself for about a foot or so but you would have to roll 20 feet for it to happen. Pj
Powerjoke, what is the serial # of your machine? I may be able to help.
I have done a few of these back casing jobs on 963B/C shovels, I always brake the track, it's only a few bolts, and strip the rim off the Dead shaft, in the hub is 2 fine tread pulling holes to draw the hub off the shaft, if you hit and bang at the sprocket you may damage the bearings, it all goes back together simple enough but also check the spocket for cracking where the segments bolt to the stepped edge, they crack in the step. Spend a load of Coins on parts without checking for other damage or Shrapnel floating about is not sounding to good to me, plus it looks like those rotating parts have been running in sweat rather than Oil. hoping things go well for you. tctractors
Is that loader arm welded up ?
did you say that you got it like that? hope you got a bargin!
looks like it
haha i just ran across this thread and forgot i posted it. read this thread, It'll all make since, as to why the machine was a little more damaged than it was supposed to be. and yeah that loader arm is/was broke but we had it X-Rayed and rewelded etc. and it's fine now.....hopefully Pj