I have a 963, SOS came back positive for fuel in the radiator, I have 4 of these machines and this is the first I have heard of it and I guess it's fairly common. Supposedly the injector tube(s) has developed a leak? the estimate for repair was $1300. has anyone encountered this problem before? Pj
Faulty machining or assembly problem may have led to carbon tracking causing a leak.I haven't had it happen, but judging from the tools and test equipment available..its occures quite frequently. Seems to be happening more often with the newer equipment. The pressures they are running,,ie 30,000# injection pressure, to raise fuel effiency and lower emissions may contribute to some of these malfunctions ..
Not sure on the 963's, but the 3406E's have/had a problem with the injector tubes failing. Supposed to have been a fix which invloved new injector tubes. I think it was something to do with defective material being used in the older injector tubes.
The engine in that machine has a reputation for that happening. The injector sleeves can crack, or get loose in the head and fill the cooling system with fuel. $1300.00 does not sound out of line for that repair if all 6 are replaced. You can remove the injectors and pressure the cooling system and find the leak(s) if you want to see exactly where it is leaking. One thing to remember is the cooling system will need a good flush after it is repaired. It sucks to have to do, but neccessary. I have found a cup of Cascade mixed in straight water does a good job of removing oil/fuel from the cooling system. It can take 3-4 runs followed by a clean water flush with no detergant to get it clean. Good luck.
gotchya, dish soap sound's like a good idea, I have ran muratic acid and comet and stuff through them before but not dish soap. I didnt think $1300 sounded bad either, I wonder what flag time is on it? can you get them out of there without pulling the cab?,......does the cab even flip forward on that rig like it does the 953's? I didnt see any jack's or hinge's Pj
Drop an entire bottle of cascade in that thing and let it circulate for a while
The 963, and 963 B cabs tilt. The 963 C has enough room to do the repair but it is tight. The cab comes off eaisily if needed. I can make that repair on all 6 injectors in about 6 hours on that machine if there are no distractions.
Yeah, I agree, cups are leaking. 3116/3126 MUI have fuel rail inside head flowing through injectors, and coolant going through the head which flows around the injectors too.