Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

963c lift arm pins

Sidney D Mcjunkin ยท 2018-05-06 07:04

Our company just bought a refurbished 963c track loader. Were trying to take bucket off and install the root rake. I've been around alot of equipment but never seen a pin formation like what's on this machin. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I've been told by some guy it's a cartridge style pin

Replies15
  1. #1Nige2018-05-06 07:07

    Machine Serial Number would be a good start .......... Which pins exactly are you having trouble with..? Lift arm to bucket pin or dog bone (tilt link) to bucket pin..?

  2. #2Sidney D Mcjunkin2018-05-06 07:08

    Lift arm to the bucket

  3. #3Nige2018-05-06 07:11

    Machine S/N please, just so I get the correct info.

  4. #4Sidney D Mcjunkin2018-05-06 07:17

    Not available at the moment. It's a 93 Caterpillar 963C. Just freshly been line bored, new bushings, new paint. I've read this in a post u made before but cant find it again

  5. #5Sidney D Mcjunkin2018-05-06 07:20

    Here's a pic

  6. #6Nige2018-05-06 07:26

    There are 2 different S/N prefix options, 2DS & BBD. If you are talking cartridge pins on the lift arm to bucket joint it looks like a 2DS. Here is the R&I procedure. It needs some heavy-duty tooling to get the collets out then you have to open up the split in the end of the lift arm to get the centre part of the cartridge pin loose.......... This is what the joint looks like in section.

  7. #7Sidney D Mcjunkin2018-05-06 07:32

    Looks like a pain just to swap buckets, gag. But it looks like your picture from what I can see

  8. #8Sidney D Mcjunkin2018-05-06 07:40

    Is there any more pictures on that assembly. I cant find nothing on it

  9. #9Nige2018-05-06 07:41

    TBH these are a small version of the design. The bigger ones that are more than twice your size are a total PITA. The big problem is that anybody who's not familiar with the procedure fails to put anti-seize on both the inside (tapered part) of the collet and also on the outside. Fail to do that and whoever comes after you will probably end up cutting the whole assembly out with a lance ...... sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but that's the way it is. Can you maybe speak to whoever installed the bucket and ask them if they used anti-seize on the collets when they installed them..? Knowing that may give you an idea of the size of the challenge you face.

  10. #10Nige2018-05-06 07:41

    What sort of pictures are you looking for..?

  11. #11Bluox2018-05-08 17:06

    If you have a service manual look at the assembly book on the loader section that will tell you how to pull the pin. Bob

  12. #12heymccall2018-05-08 17:38

    Removal

  13. #13Nige2018-05-09 10:22

    I thought I posted this a couple fo days ago. Check out the attachment from post #7 above. The OP hasn't been back for a couple of days. I'd really like to know how they got on with removing the collets. A home-made tool would require the fabrication of a bolt to perform the same function as the 5P-5264 Bolt (Tooling B) called out in the Removal Procedure. If this setup is anything like what I've seen before then the collet will have a fine thread in the inside bore for an extractor bolt. I found the info about them in an old Tool Guide. #1 is what the OP needs - 1-1/2" UNF, 12 TPI. Note the reduced diameter at the nose end so that when it mushrooms (as it surely will) as weight is put on it you'll still be able to screw it back out of the hole without messing the fine thread up in the collet.......

  14. #14gwhammy2018-05-12 21:13

    Hard to take apart, I pulled the threads on the last removal tool when I tried to pull the outer wedge off. Can't remember exactly how I got it apart but it wasn't easy. The pin is wedged in the arm also, blew up a bottle jack trying to get it out.

  15. #15Nige2018-05-13 09:17

    It's a shame the OP never came back to tell us how they got one with removing the pins ..........