Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

963C with a dozer blade

bam1968 ยท 2019-05-28 11:08

I'm contemplating buying a 963 and putting a dozer blade on it for terrace work. Leaning towards a 963C because 963D's are mainly out of my price range and the few 963B's I have seen in my area have a ton of hours on them. Basically trying to figure out what blade would be a good match for this machine. I used to have a 977L that had a straight blade off of a D6C on it and it seemed small for that machine. I have seen quite a few 977's that fitted with old D7 straight blades that seemed to be a better match. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies9
  1. #1Bls repair2019-05-29 18:29

    Just wondering what what you gain with a loader with dozer blade on it over a dozer with a tilt blade?

  2. #2Tags2019-05-29 18:55

    I'm gonna guess that you have the ability to stack much higher? Also be able to put a bucket back on....all guesses though. I would think a dozer would be better suited for detailed grading, but never have used a track loader with a blade so I don't know for sure....

  3. #3bam19682019-05-29 20:03

    For the most part, in my area, we build whats called narrow base terraces and they are mostly built from the bottom side. The finished product is designed to have a 2:1 back slope. When using a regular dozer you usually bring a fair amount of dirt back down on each push. By using a loader you have the ability to basically dump the dirt on each push which makes it more efficient. That is the biggest reason. There are a couple other reasons, one being converting what they call a grassed back slope terrace into a narrow base terrace which is being done alot because the size of the farm equipment keeps getting bigger and doesn't fit the contour of the channel on a grassed back slope terrace. Converting these is done from the top side. With a regular dozer the blade doesn't go high enough to do a decent job. Basically like Tags said. It's the ability to stack the dirt higher.

  4. #4petepilot2019-05-30 00:08

    how about just a 4in1 bucket ?

  5. #5JBGASH2019-05-31 00:36

    I have a 953C set up with a quick attach and have both the Cat GP bucket and a Balderson blade- it works quite well. It is not, nor replaces a dozer but will do a tremendous amount of work with 1- machine.

  6. #6bam19682019-06-01 01:34

    As far as a 4in1, I know it would handle a wider blade the that would be. But if I found a machine with a 4in1 I could at least use it that way until I found a good blade to match the machine and have the mounts fabricated.

  7. #7bam19682019-06-01 01:35

    Just out of curiousity, how wide is your Balderson blade

  8. #8gwhammy2019-06-05 07:09

    JBGASH, is your blade a straight or six way? Where are you located in Mo.?

  9. #9Matthew Boehm2019-06-18 20:48

    Bam1968 I have been wanting to do the same thing as you for rebuilding terraces that are full. I find little to no information on other people doing this or what size blade would work. Did you figure anything out?