I just purchased a 2015 963D it has 3852hrs on it. The machine runs great has lots of power. Idles very smooth but when you increase the rpm to 2000 it creates a ticking noise. I have sent an oil test off but have not received it back yet. I had a mechanic come an do an injector cut test and fuel flow test. Everything was good. Trying to see if anyone else has had this issue or would know where to look? Also on cold mornings it will have a tick at idle but goes away once its warmed up. Once first started it takes cylinder 1 exhaust port longer to get warm than the others. I was leaning towards a bad injector but the injector cut out test didn't stop the noise unless it's more that one failing. The machine has only had 200hrs put on it since july of 2023.
Where the valves adjusted??
I have no idea. I have only put like 8 hours on the machine since buying it. But I'm going to say no they haven't been. It doesn't look like the valve cover has been off.
I think I would start there
Alright I'll start there. Would you by chance know the overhead sequence for the engine? I heard they were a pain.
See the attached. I'm assuming the machine S/N prefix is LCS and that the engine is a C6.6.
Thank you so much. I'll check this and hopefully is solves the problem. Also the #6 injector line is leaking through the pass through. Is that just an oring?
You'll have to confirm a machine Serial Number first before looking at parts.
Lcs02377
OK, so I have two pieces of bad news for you. First the dust seal that goes around the injector line as it passes through the valve cover is not available separately. Secondly the fuel injection lines are single use only and should be discarded if they are ever removed for whatever reason. It looks as though to fix that leak is going to cost you a new line. See attached.
Alright thank you so much for the information. The way it looks the seal and the line come as a set? Depending on the ticking issue I may replace that while I'm in the motor. Its leaking pretty bad
Yes. It’s all one Part Number.
I got the oil sample results. This sampling was good but last time it was sampled last oil change it wasn't. Are there rocker assembly's known for going out on these engines? Its definitely a top end noise sounds like its toward the front.
Last oil analysis looks pretty good. The one before was dodgy but the oil and filter was changed at that time. Honestly I would look at doing a valve set on it first and while you'rte in there have a close look at the rockers, lifters, etc, etc. It should have had the first one done at 500 hours then every 1000 hours thereafter so a total of 4 up to now. If as you say it looks like the valve cover has never been off it's well past time it was done. Who knows what you might find.?
Thank you so much for your insight and information. I will keep you posted on what I discover when I get a chance to roll the cab and pull the cover.
Not an expert on these engines by any means. I'm just musing what I would do if it were mine.
Me either. I've never touched one. Isx, ism, n14, Detroit 60, d-12, dd14 I've messed with but not many cat engines other than bolt on items
I ran the overhead on this machine. #1 #2 #6 were tight on the intake side. Still had some play but not much. Adjusted everything and put back together. The tick was less, then changed the oil now it's worse. I used a stethoscope and to me it sounds like its coming from the cam area. Maybe a lifter or pushrod? The thing idles very smooth. Only gets that ticking/flooder at operating rpm. It's not a hard tick. Kind of a soft flooder ticking if that makes sense. I had another mechanic look at it too and hes not sure on it either. He hasn't dealt with these motors very much. Is this motor a lifter or a tappet setup?
Tappets.
Take it these are solid. Umm might be best to put thick oil in it till it dies. Sure to pull the cam you have to remove the motor from the machine?
What grade of oil do you have in it right now.?
Just put rotella T4 15w-40 in it
Ah ,OK. I was thinking maybe you had put something like 5W/20 in it.
I wish that were the case. Think it's more the ones I bought it from put thick oil in it to quite the tick down. Now I'm stuck with a motor issue
I would sure like to hear the engine running
Is there a way to upload a video on here? I don't use this platform very often
You have to upload the video somewhere else such as YouTube and link it.
We had a 963D here but with higher hours. Had some ticking going on if you listened carefully. I recall pulling the head on it eventually.I can’t remember what the problem was,but must have been solved in the head somewhere. We never replaced the cam and the fitter reakoned it looked good. Don’t think it was expensive.