Anyone know how to remove drive shaft can't move it forward or backward to clear the tabs.
I was able to get it out.
Those things can be a little tight at times, don't try to pop both ends loose at the same time as I recall! Then again it's been a decade or so since I worked on one!
Thank you yes it was tight it seemed to me the rear diff yoke moved back to let one end come out probaly many a year that it had been taken out good solid old loader just fixing some oil leaks which i think is worth it.
Yes, I believe you will find that the rear diff yoke is not fixed in place on the shaft where the yoke for the other end of the driveshaft has a bolt holding in place. One thought I would have if that yoke has been on for many years and when you slid it back enough to let the drive shaft come out you could have forced some rust or dirt into the oil seal. I would keep an eye on it just incase to see if it develops a leak. Like I said above been a few years since I worked on a 966C, but over the early years I probably had just about every part off a 966C at one time and a few more times than I care to recall for some of the parts. That said I did like them!
Ok thank you for the heads up never thought of that!
Wish I'd seen this sooner. Rear dry can be dangerous because there is no differential between the front axle and rear, plus the machine articulates to steer. There can be tremendous torque on the rear drive line. What should be done before removing the bolts is to use the bucket to pick up the front tires off the ground and let the tension release. When you go to put it back in you can pick up the front wheels again to align the yokes for reassembly.
Ok thanks i was also doing tilt bucket cylinder seals so it has been sitting for few weeks before I started on drive shaft but will use that advice next time!