Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Loaded tires

chorty55 ยท 2026-04-09 21:11

Any good ideas to get a liquid ballast into a tubed tire? I thought about making a low pressure vessel just to move the liquid into the tube with 5-7psi, then finish topping it off after the transfer.

Replies6
  1. #1Welder Dave2026-04-09 23:39

    They pump calcium chloride and beet juice into tires all the time. I think you can buy pumps for it. I think there's even video's of people doing it with home made pumps.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2026-04-10 10:10

    Not sure that link works. I have the You tube videos for filling and they have a ballast guide you can look up. It gives quantity for each tire size. I am thinking of using windshield washer fluid.

  3. #3jdonovan2026-04-10 10:28

    small pump that hooks to a garden hose bucket for liquid - easier to pour more into the bucket vs move the suction hose from jug to jug and loose pump prime valve adapter - https://slime.com/products/tractor-air-water-adapter-kit replacement liquid core valves - https://slime.com/products/tractor-core-housings

  4. #4John C.2026-04-10 21:28

    We used to save old antifreeze retired out of machines for ballast. Won't rust up the wheels like calcium does.

  5. #5Welder Dave2026-04-10 22:08

    Regular antifreeze is frowned upon because if you have a leak or puncture it's toxic to animals and the envirinment. Used antifreeze can also have other toxic materials like heavy metals in it. Some use windshield washer antifreeze.

  6. #6chorty552026-04-12 12:41

    Pink rv is safe. Windshield washer fluid is near worth gold. Chloride is cheap. Shouldn't give issues on the rim if its in a tube. I'm not staying tubeless. The machine has split rims. With an o-ring and lock ring. Its a leak chaser.