Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

966c rear differential specs

johnnyboy ยท 2016-08-10 20:33

Could somebody please help, I need the specs for rear differential o a 966C. Backlash and any torque specs I may need. We lost the spider gears and have another carrier and need specs and advice to reinstall. machine is 76J Thanks guys

Replies19
  1. #1kshansen2016-08-11 09:05

    You didn't specify the serial number range so I picked the middle one of three, 76J 06389-09655, not sure if there are any differences anyhow.

  2. #2johnnyboy2016-08-11 19:12

    Thanks kshansen that's exactly what I was looking for. We got the third member back together today, and hopefully in the machine tomorrow. I'm glad there are people willing to share their material and now if someone search's they may find it also.

  3. #3kshansen2016-08-11 19:31

    Glad to be of some help. I always like those old 966C loaders, spent many days working on them! Not to say they were trouble prone but the company I worked for had many of them all across New York State and I'm sure in many other places.

  4. #4grandpa2016-08-11 22:55

    If your mounting the ring gear , make sure you have it on the right side of the pinion,,, they will go both ways, if you get it wrong, the front rearend will go one direction, while the rear one will go the other. And don't ask me how I know this.

  5. #5redneckracin2016-08-12 06:27

    You "knew" a guy right?

  6. #6grandpa2016-08-12 07:29

    Ha.... I knew him pretty well!!!

  7. #7johnnyboy2016-08-12 10:06

    Hate to say it but thats pretty funny. and no the ring gear was not removed, just the spider gears and carrier bearings were replaced, and it got tore apart before checking anything so I had no starting point. He told me that him and a guzzle buddy put it in the housing last night, so I'll know today how it is. Thanks

  8. #8kshansen2016-08-12 10:19

    Would not be too bad if the "wrong way" one was the front! The rear is a bit more work, at least on the 966C's. While talking diff's on 966C's. Once or twice we had a 966C where due to lack of grease the trunion bushing on the rear axle would wear the bearing surface of the pinion housing beyond use. I did some checking and found the pinion housing for the front diff was just an unmachined O.D. copy of the rear. Took a little talking to boss but convinced him to let me pull the front diff out and disassemble it then send the pinion housing to machine shop and get it turned down to the spec's for the trunion. Then just put the front in the rear and the rear in front, making sure rings were in the right location. Besides saving the cost of the bearing housing gave me opportunity to inspect and reseal the front diff.

  9. #9repowerguy2016-08-12 18:46

    I like the tip on the pinion housing there kshansen, there are still a few around here that the foreign buyers haven't bought up yet. Repairs like that makes us look like heroes. I'm gonna file that one away for future reference.

  10. #10kshansen2016-08-12 19:44

    You will be sure to send my commission check for each one right?

  11. #11repowerguy2016-08-12 20:18

    commission?!! Eek! Oh, ok if I have to.

  12. #12grandpa2016-08-14 09:42

    Kshansen...... its good to share that old info,,, or we're just gonna die with it.

  13. #13repowerguy2016-08-14 13:39

    Grandpa is onto something here, we need to pass on info we've learned to others to use immediately or as building blocks for future projects. As I've said, when a old man dies a library burns. I'll do my best to make sure all my books are checked out!

  14. #14kshansen2016-08-14 19:00

    I often think I don't really know that much but every so often something like this comes up so I try to pass on what little I do know. Sometimes I wish I had kept a journal about the different things I worked on and solutions that we came up with over the years. Would have been interesting to scroll back through the old stuff. I did try to keep pretty good notes in my records at work and did save a copy of those to my home computer but those only go back to the time that I had a computer for records at work. Many years of information is more or less lost from the early 1970's up to, had to look, the oldest files I have are dated March of 1995. So that means I lost a quarter century of knowledge. I have to wonder about all the pictures people take these days and carry around on their cell phones. One slip and they are gone, don't think many people think to download them to another media for a back up. And the way technology keeps changing even if the pictures are save to CD or DVD's in 25 years will anyone have a machine that can view them? I have a couple old photo albums of my mom's and dad's that I can flip through with out anything other than my own eyes. Unfortunately most of those pictures are not labeled so can only recognize the people I remember from when I was a little kid. Guess I got a little off topic here, hope the original poster doesn't mind too much!

  15. #15kshansen2016-08-14 19:06

    Yes and that goes for many things other than just us old mechanics. One of the biggest regrets I have is not really knowing my grandparents. Mom's dad died when she was still in high school and her mother died when I was maybe 5 or 6. Dad's parents lived halfway across the country and his dad died when I was but 11 and I only had a few weeks one summer the year before to know him. His mom did hang in there till around the time I was in my late twenties but being so far away had little time to spend knowing her. The stories they could have told!

  16. #16johnnyboy2016-08-15 10:25
  17. #17chickenminer2016-09-04 18:16

    Speaking of the 966C .... I've got to get a couple new tires for mine and trying to figure out weights. I believe a new 16 ply 23.5x25 is around 550lbs. Does anyone know the weight of the rim ? Or of a new mounted tire ? Thanks!

  18. #18kshansen2016-09-05 09:10

    Well this is right from SIS:

  19. #19chickenminer2016-09-05 13:54

    Excellent .... Thanks ks !