Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

966d Shut off solenoid, seen it before?

ejuan ยท 2014-03-04 21:00

Hi guys, Ive been looking for a shut off solenoid for a 966D Serial 99y04861, it has a 3306 engine. Even my Caterpillar dealer has given me a part number but it wont just fit in. Just wondering if you have seen it before, or might know what is going on here. Flange shape is really weird. It seems impossible to find as I have been looking for some days now, without any succes.

Replies35
  1. #1kshansen2014-03-04 22:10

    What part number are they giving you? I show it as being a 110-6465.

  2. #2Mobiltech2014-03-04 22:26

    That flange piece with one bolt in it has to come off. The shutoff mounts right to the governor.

  3. #3willie592014-03-04 22:51

    I have to admit that I know nothing about a 3306, but I have to agree with Mobiletech...that single bolt in that flange just ain't right in any sort of logic.

  4. #4ejuan2014-03-04 23:15

    That is what I thougt, but the flange continues with the same shape even if I take that piece of the governor. Actually they push a stick through the hole seen in the picture to turn off the engine so the hole must be in the right place. Solenoid part number given at the dealer is 110-6465, they sent me a picture with measurements wich dont match. Anyways Im going to take out that piece and check if it has a way to fit in. thanks for your advices.

  5. #5ejuan2014-03-04 23:17

    Yes sir, that is the part number, Ive attached a picture of it.

  6. #6willie592014-03-04 23:26

    That don't look right, your pattern shows the shaft offset between the two holes??? Again, I'm not a Cat guy, but I'm seeing the 3306 used a 6N-3748 fuel solenoid. Am I missing something here?

  7. #7Cmark2014-03-05 01:08

    The 6N3748 if for a sleeve metering pump. Ejuan has a scroll pump. That aluminium block doesn't look like anything I've seen before. Looks almost home made. I'd like to see a photo of the governor housing with it removed. Edit. After a bit of research, my best guess it you have the remains of a VHP (variable horsepower) solenoid. Someone might have installed an engine or FIP from a grader. What's the serial number of your engine?

  8. #8kshansen2014-03-05 05:46

    Also are there part numbers on any other parts in that area, might help shed some light on this.

  9. #9ejuan2014-03-05 12:03

    I will try to get a picture of the governor without that piece. Engine information is Model: 3306DI , Serial: 08Z38761, Arrangement Number: 6N3055. Thanks for your help.

  10. #10ejuan2014-03-05 12:05

    No sir. There is no information or part number on the pump. I ve seen other FIP like this but they use a normal solenoid.

  11. #11Nige2014-03-05 12:29

    Engine S/N 08Z38761 built May 1987, originally installed in 966D S/N 99Y04861. So t'is the original engine............. Edit: Does this look like it..? Taken from a 6I-2108 Shutoff Solenoid Gp. Solenoid Gp (Ref. 4) is a 155-4653.

  12. #12Nige2014-03-05 14:47

    If it's possibly a "modified" VHP control, try this. The complete group is 6I-3792 Solenoid Group - VHP & Engine Shutoff. Applicable amongst other to engine of S/N prefix 08Z.

  13. #13Mobiltech2014-03-05 14:48

    From the first picture it looks like 2 pieces or flanges need to come off.(they are stacked) The gasket may be holding one piece on.

  14. #14ejuan2014-03-05 17:11

    Mechanic has taken out the flange. He says it had some kind of check valve in it. He says when he took it off there is only a hole, bolts are separated 60 mm away, just like the solenoid I posted a picture. I dont know if what you should normally see on the governor is only a hole??? Thanks to all.

  15. #15Nige2014-03-05 17:30

    Can we have a photo of the flange after removal to illustrate the "check valve", and of the hole in the back of the injector pump that was left when the flange was removed...?

  16. #16thepumpguysc2014-03-05 21:38

    I think I figured it out..?? "someone" has taken the "inlet Spacer" off a 3208, hence the "check valve" and adapted it to this pump..!!! Think about it..?? I WIN..

  17. #17ejuan2014-03-05 22:42

    Thanks Niege, I will check if this is the case. If I ever solve this issue I will let you know. I am really confused right now.

  18. #18ejuan2014-03-05 22:45

    Sure I will try to get a picture of that. My mechanic does not have acces to a camera, thats why he has not sent me the picture.

  19. #19ejuan2014-03-05 22:47

    Sorry for my ignorance, what is an inlet spacer? maybe you are right...

  20. #20Cutterjohn2014-03-06 06:52

    pretty sure thepumpguy nailed it, see attached. ref #'s 13, 14, & 15, odd repair, using 3208 parts to fix a 3306...

  21. #21Mobiltech2014-03-06 08:49

    Yes there is only a hole where the shutoff mounts. The rod on the shutoff goes in and contacts a lever attached to the fuel rack. Even if someone put a 3208 flange on it once you take that off the shutoff will mount the same.

  22. #22Nige2014-03-06 10:35

    The only thing that should go between the shutoff solenoid and the fuel injection pump is a gasket. I think it's Part Number 6I-2002. If the distance between the 2 threaded holes on the back of the injection pump are 60mm apart and the centre of the holes in the 110-6465 solenoid shown in Post #5 are the same distance apart then I'd say the solenoid will mount right in there. Throw the "spacer" away. It might be interesting to see if the centre of the hole in the back of the injection pump lines up with the centre of the hole in the "adapter" that's currently installed at the same location. My guess is that the centres of the 2 holes won't line up.

  23. #23ejuan2014-03-13 10:38

    Sorry for my late repply, but I had to go myself to take a picture of it without the flange. Here I attach the picture. What do you think guys?, is my dealer correct and solenoid part number is 110-6465? Thanks in advance for your kind help to all of you

  24. #24Bob/Ont2014-03-13 12:14

    Try to mount the solinoid right on there. Later Bob

  25. #25Nige2014-03-13 13:20

    I agree with Bob. It appears that the solenoid should fix straight on there using a bolt in each of those 2 threaded holes I'm wondering if at some time in the past the solenoid was removed and the "spacer" was installed - for 2 possible reasons. One to cover the gaping hole on the back of the pump, the other to leave a hole through which someone could conveniently poke a screwdriver, stick, or similar in order to manually shut off the engine.

  26. #26ejuan2014-03-13 14:38

    Thanks. I dont have the solenoid with me, and there is no exchange from my CAT dealer, even if I buy it just to try, I guess I will have to take the risk and buy it hoping it will fit. Just was hoping some of you guys had seen it before and could tell me that was actually the correct part number. Thanks for your help

  27. #27Nige2014-03-13 15:13

    As a last suggestion if you can't get the solenoid on a "sale or return basis" - measure the centre-to-centre distance between the 2 threaded bolt holes on the pump and compare it to the measurement you previously posted on the photo of the solenoid in Post #5. If the 2 measurements are the same then I would say it is 99.9% certain that solenoid will fit, and (more importantly) that it is the correct one for the job.

  28. #28Cmark2014-03-13 16:42

    That looks like a stock standard casing to me and I'm 99.99% certain the solenoid will fit. Whether it works or not is a different matter though. These are an energise-to-stop system and not as simple as you'd think. If you get it wired up and it doesn't work, post here and we'll talk you through the troubleshooting.

  29. #29Bob/Ont2014-03-13 18:54

    Cmark the wheel loaders of this vintage are energize to shut down but the long Go Round to get there when you turn the key off can be a challenge. Later Bob

  30. #30kshansen2014-03-13 21:00

    Another option is to buy the gasket and see if it would fit. if the hole spacing and the overall shape looks good you"re half way there! Also measure into the lever that the plunger would hit and if it looks about the right distance go for it.

  31. #31kshansen2014-03-13 21:03

    I'd need to do a little research but seems to me that there is a relay in an electric box on the fire wall that is powered by the output of the alternator. As the engine come to a stop and alternator output drops the relay kills power to the shut-down solenoid. Had to trouble shoot one of these 15 to 20 years ago!

  32. #32Bob/Ont2014-03-13 21:22

    The way that one worked was turning the switch to off you grounded the shutdown relay and as the engine ran on the power from the alt "R" terminal went through the relay turning it on and sending battery voltage to the shutdown solenoid. A bad alternator and the engine wouldn't shutdown. Later Bob

  33. #33Cmark2014-03-13 23:17

    And also if you remember, in the relay box there's what looks like a blank plug on the harness but it's actually a diode and if it goes wrong then once again, no shutdown.

  34. #34ejuan2014-03-17 13:33

    Thanks to all of you. I will buy the solenoid and let you know if it worked, hope it does. Regards,

  35. #35Nige2014-03-17 14:13

    As KSH posted above, try buying the 6I-2002 gasket first. If it fits OK then buy the solenoid.