Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

96j decelerator

Cfred · 2019-11-29 17:54

Hey guys, I’m looking for some knowledge. I have a 1972 cat d5 96j that I have acquired. I’ve got it pulled into my shop, going to start fixing it up. I have to change steering clutches and drums. Will have to change some rollers. Fairly clean machine it’s just needing some TLC. Anyway, it is a power shift. But, it doesn’t have a decelerator on it. From what I’m seeing looks like it might not have ever had one. Was this common? I assumed all power shift should’ve had a decelerator on them. I’ve got a couple salvages that I’m going to check and see if I can get an assembly to put one on it. I’m sure somebody has more knowledge about this than I do. I appreciate any insight and conversation. Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1DMiller2019-11-29 18:25

    Likely never had one, has been noted Cat did not always add on. These would be a throttle back shift then throttle up.

  2. #2Ronsii2019-11-29 19:35

    Yep, my 72-73 D4 83J lust a throttle up on the dash, 3spd powershift.

  3. #3Cfred2019-11-29 20:06

    I was reading an old post on this site earlier, that sounded like some were built to shift at working throttle. I’m not keen on changing directions at full throttle. I think I’ll see what I can do about adding one. Ever heard of anybody doing that? I wouldn’t think it would be to bad of a job to add one. Thoughts? Thanks

  4. #4DMiller2019-11-29 21:02

    Worked for a man that dragged throttle wide open ANY Cat, essentially slam shifted F-R or range changes he ran it like he stole it and had little issues with them. Would stand a 933 on its heels or toes moving material.

  5. #5Rusted2019-11-29 21:53

    Never seen any powershift D5 that didn't have a decel as standard. It was optional on late production D4d's

  6. #6Old Magnet2019-11-30 00:46

    According to my 95J & 96J Parts Book the Decelerator was an Attachment option.

  7. #7seatwarmer2019-11-30 01:02

    I ran a brand new powershift D5 in the late seventies with a decelerator.

  8. #8Nige2019-11-30 04:22

    This would appear to be what you need. A Serial Number would confirm that it is the correct arrangement for a particular machine. The Group changes somewhat depending on if the S/N falls into on of three groups: 96J1-3587, 3588-5261, or 5262-Up.

  9. #9DMiller2019-11-30 07:51

    Could try a Parts search of the salvage yards on Machinery trader if looking to add one on.

  10. #10Cfred2019-11-30 10:43

    Serial# 96j3274

  11. #11Cfred2019-11-30 10:45