Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

97 C7500 Throttle cable

Surlyredhead ยท 2023-05-23 11:06

Hello, I have been tasked with locating a Throttle Cable for a 1997 C7500 with the Kodiak 6.6 diesel engine. I don't usually have issue with finding obsolete parts, but this one is getting the better of me. The GM part number is 15996199 (given to from the dealer). Does anybody have any ideas? I am not against having one fabricated if the manufacturer is reputable. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies11
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-05-23 18:58

    Perhaps a truck wrecker would have a good used throttle cable.

  2. #2Surlyredhead2023-05-24 07:47

    Thank you for your reply Dave, I appreciate it! I have called my medium duty used part source, unfortunately, they don't really deal with cables, he would have looked for me because of the amount of business I give him, but they didn't have and trucks that matched my application. I am not giving up though, at some point, someone will be taking one out of commission and I will be all over it! Cathy

  3. #3Old Doug2023-05-24 07:49

    If the cable is just broken get a piece from the hard ware or a motorcycle shop.

  4. #4Surlyredhead2023-05-24 08:31

    I am open to repairing and/or fabricating a cable, however, this is a part order for a County Roads Truck so I have to get authorization before doing so. They have indicated that they would like me to keep looking for an "intact" cable at this point, we shall see if they change their mind with time. I have looked into both options though, thank you!

  5. #5crane operator2023-05-24 19:12

    A picture or two of the ends might help. I've had custom push pull cables made several different places.

  6. #6Welder Dave2023-05-24 21:26

    It could be similar to a PTO cable. Depended on the length might be off the shelf but custom lengths are commonly made.

  7. #7RocketScott2023-05-25 08:17

    Not really a cat guy... Looks like they switched over to electronic throttle control in later trucks. You could convert it over to that system, probably more time and money than it's worth The M1078 also used the Cat 3115. Not sure what else did but you might find something that will work https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/5670/Throttle-Accelerator-Control-Cable

  8. #8Surlyredhead2023-05-25 09:16
  9. #9Welder Dave2023-05-25 14:49

    I'd talk to different truck wreckers. It sounds like the one you deal with is lazy. A good wrecker should be able to put the part number in the system and find a wrecker that has it if they don't. I needed a mirror for my pick up. I called a wrecker and they didn't have it but told me another wrecker in the city that did have it. It's the same for used heavy equipment parts. Have you tried googling the part number? Curious how the cable got so mangled?

  10. #10crane operator2023-05-26 19:42

    I would build a couple L brackets to take the place of the plastic guide holders, and have a push pull cable made and be done with it. You might not even need the L brackets depending what the plastic guides mount to.

  11. #11Welder Dave2023-05-26 20:13

    It almost looks the guides may have contributed to the cable to getting frayed and messed up. I agree with crane op. you could make some simple brackets. If all the guides do is fill holes in the firewall or allow for adjustment you could use a rubber grommet and a push pull cable could be made with a bolt style adjuster.