Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

97’ Case 1840 drive chains

sherwood22 · 2024-01-05 15:00

I’ve been working on our 97’ case 1840 skid steer - it has 3200hrs but has had very poor maintenance from previous mechanics. My initial problem was a very very bad hydraulic leak that resulted in removing the tandem hydraulic pump and all hydraulic hoses - the hoses were in very rough shape so got them rebuilt. Also had to replace the 2 fuel lines that run along the bottom, both battery cables and threw in a new rear seal on the tandem pump. today I opened up the chain cases. I started with removing the oil level/fill plug. See attached pictures for the milk that poured out lol. I then took off both front wheels and then removed the inspection covers. In any records we have this has never been done. I would like to completely clean the chain cases and check the chain tension on all 4. The manual that I have says that in order to do so I need to actuate the starter motor momentarily. Is there a way I can check them without doing that? Does it change the deflection spec? Waiting to hear back from our local dealer on their thoughts but I figured I may as well post it here to see what all these minds might know!

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2024-01-05 15:43

    Welcome to HEF @sherwood22 I normally check chain tension by raising the machine off the ground & rocking the axles back & forth (with park brake released, if they are still connected) TIP - I also recycle the old hydraulic oil into the chain cases & put the new oil in the tank.

  2. #2sherwood222024-01-05 20:34

    @alrman thank you! I will try that out. And thanks for the tip! What do you run for hydraulic oil? The manual we have calls for 10w30 but it's had ISO32 instead for years looks like. Previous mechanic made that call, I'm not sure whether to go back to 10w30 or stay with the ISO 32. I am in a colder climate.