1997 ford new holland 655e backhoe question. Machine sat outside for 5 years. After replacing fluids/filters, hydraulic lines, rebuilding a few cylinders, and grounding issues, I finally got the machine operating. I was able to put it in gear (forward/reverse) and move in both directions. I cruised up and down my property today. I then went and used the rear boom/bucket to move around a pile of settled dirt. Then I went ahead and turned the machine around, dropped the loader and proceeded to pick up about a loader bucket full of dirt and then the machine would simply not go backwards or forwards. I dropped the soil back on the ground thinking maybe the load had something to do with it, but came up with the same result. (No movement in either direction). Hydraulics remained in operatable condition afterwards though. The machine has a 4 on the floor gear shift lever+transmission disconnect button and a forward/reverse power shuttle lever on the steering column. What leaves me curious is the wonder of why this happened after I added a load to the front bucket. I will state that it doesn't even seem like the transmission is engaging as it did before, I would feel a slight jerk after engaging the power shuttle reverse lever in either forward/reverse. Tried all gears too. Curious to hear any thoughts on all possible trouble shooting. I plan to check trans oil level tomorrow, although I feel as though if the problem was something of that nature that it would show indications. Thanks for any input
First thing that comes to mind it the trans dump switch. You said you moved the loader then it stopped working. The button is on the stick, and wires go down inside of the tube of the loader stick. Either a bad switch, or a rubbed wire seems to come to mind.
Plus 1 for Swetz. Mine did the same thing, but the disconnect button on mine was just sticking, so, easy fix. This happened the first time I was ever in a driver's seat of a backhoe. After spending a large chunk of cash on it, it was kinda spooky.
I'll def check that out and get back, I probably should check the switch/button on the gear shift lever too while I'm at it. This would make complete sense too. Now that I think about it, I'm fairly positive that on my very first attempt to drive it, it did the same thing, so I came in and re-read the manual thinking there was some caveat to it. Went back out, and it worked in both directions second time around.
Did you just remove the housing on the handle of the loader disconnect? Curious to know what you did to un-stick it. Yeah, I would have been tripped up if I were you too, but relieved for sure.
Yes, I just took the top handle apart and gave everything inside a good cleaning. After years of crud build-up I can understand how it might happen. As I mentioned, luckily it was an easy fix.
Sweet, I'll run a voltage or continuity test on it too after trying that just to be sure. Thanks for the input
Update*** Went and fired her up today, had no issue going forward/reverse. Put a 2 loads on the front and moved them. Machine seemed pretty responsive. I also took the handles apart just to be sure and noted no sticking or rubbing. At this point we're about 10-15min into operation. Went for a third load, put her in reverse and then there was no movement. I then set the bucket down, turned it off and proceeded to check the transmission fluid/level. See attached image. With this low of a level, would it cause the transmission to slip/overheat and resulting in the obvious? I waited about 20 min, went back out and fired her up and sure as hell she started going again. I intend on buying a few gallons of the recommended tranny/hydrualic oil and seeing what happens. I get the feeling there may be a leak from the tranny fluid intercooler, but would have to investigate first. Curious to hear your thoughts
From what I can tell from the image, it looks to be below minimum. If I hadda guess, I'd say that 's an issue. I'm not an expert enough to say for sure, but someone who is (Swetz or Delmer for instance) surely would be able to. Since it needs the fluid anyway, go ahead and add it and find out for yourself. I really hope for you it is something as simple as that. R
Transmission holds probably 5-6 gallons of fluid so if it’s on the stick at all I doubt that’s the reason since you are only talking about a gallon low at most. I’d still say it’s what Swetz said with the disconnect. On my 555e there is also one on the gear shifter. That very well could be the issue instead of the bucket one.
I'll check that handle as well, but what's troubling me is that it only seems to be happening after the machine is warmed up. Correlating that with anything electrical/switches has me doubtful. I'm gopefuly it's something that simple though
Check the fluid with it warmed up and running.
Any progress?
A ton of water had somehow got in and emulsified within the tranny hydraulic fluid. Flushed it and it ran great for about 5 hours afterwards and did the same thing. My guess is there was still some left in the cooler lines and elsewhere after the initial flush because the fluid was like a milkshake
Did you drain the T/C when you changed trans fluid. If not, you still had a lot of milky fluid that mixed with your new fluid after the flush. Hence, your second milkshake.
T/C?
Torque converter. Item # 2. Some torque converters have a drain plug. I do not see any reference to one in my manual. The torque converter is full of oil even when the unit is shut down. In the automotive world, I have emptied the torque converter when there wasn't a plug by removing the cooler line starting the unit and idling until the flow stops, then quickly shut down. There is also a screen in the shuttle trans that could be cleaned, as well as a spin on filter that needs to be replaced.
FNH doesn't show the plug on the parts diagram. The older machines reference the plug in the Service Manual. Don't know what the manuals for the E-s say. If you don't have a manual, you'll have to bump the converter around until you find a plug or determine it has none. There's no way to flush your transmission in one shot if you don't drain the converter.
Been a while since I last checked in, life's just been crazy. Thank you for the responses, I'll def be removing the oil from the tc on my next flush. I started to wonder if it were possible that it wasn't water getting into the tranny/hydraulic fluid, but rather coolant itself. When I had it running last I had completely topped all my fluids off and just went out to check and noticed that my coolant reservoir was bone dry. If this were a possible culprit, any suggestions on where you would start first? I was thinking radiator + tranny oil heat exchanger because they are next to each other. Is there any way shape or form that if my radiator was cracked/ruptured anywhere on or within it that fluid could be transferred to the tranny hydraulic fluid? Appreciate the responses gents