I have a Cat 420 E backhoe that has a fuel pump that has stopped working. I want to replace the pump ( attaches to the top of the water separator and feeds the injector pump. I have a coworker that wants to just hook up an electric fuel pump and feed the injector pump. I don’t agree with him and could override him but wanted to get a little feedback. Will the electric pump put too much to the injector pump or is that not a problem. I don’t know what he’s trying to prove other than he thinks he knows everything. Thanks
For the price point, why reinvent the wheel? Before buying one, does it make noise? If so, verify that the inlet isn't clogged. Very common. Disassembly after removal from the machine is best course of action. If inlet is clogged, new pump won't help. The blockage can be all the way in at arrow, not just at inlet fitting.
We talked about the clogging here... 259D3 Fuel Pump in a non-D3 I remember reading that CAT been updating the problematic D-series machines with the new style D3 lift/transfer fuel pump. From the pics I can find online it seems like the main filter housing is part of the lift pump on the new style D3 pumps. Was just at my local dealer and the Saturday... HeavyEquipmentForums
My exact point , in fact we have the original pump ordered and is supposed to be here on the 5th. He’s trying to prove a point but he’s by no means a diesel mechanic. More like full of crap
Pickup pump fixed it after he realized he was hooking up the wrong lines