Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

973 86g steering issues

farmer bob ยท 2017-09-11 21:01

I am having issues with the right side steering. 1st, the pedal seems really stiff. It doesn't want to return to the home position, without pulling it up by hand. Not a big deal. 2nd, when pushing the pedal all the way down, the track on the right side slows down and eventually the machine turns. But unlike the left one, where if I push that pedal to the floor, it responds quickly and will even reverse the direction of that track. I don't run the machine very often, even though it has 10k hours. The function had been good before this started. Wondering if it's a simple adjustment issue, or something worse? I had the right track motor hose rupture a year ago. Replaced it and filled back up with hydraulic oil, (not cat brand.)

Replies7
  1. #1Cmark2017-09-12 03:48

    This might be your problem........

  2. #2farmer bob2017-09-12 07:17

    Where is this toggle switch located? My machine might be old enough that it wasn't an option, or was removed by the previous owners. I've read other threads that the foot pedals rust and bind up, limiting movement. I'm thinking the pedal isn't the issue.

  3. #3Cmark2017-09-12 07:57

    Apologies. This was a reply to a completely different thread. My mistake. As to your particular problem, there are several links and cranks between the pedal and HPU containing spherical and needle roller bearings. I would suggest that you strip/repair/replace/lubricate everything south of the steering pedals before you go any further,

  4. #4DMiller2017-09-12 08:23

    Was just going to go that suggestion Cmark. Stiff usually indicates bind not so much a hydraulics but a mechanical issue. S/N as to configurations and mechanisms for review of guides would help too.

  5. #5farmer bob2017-09-12 19:38

    Serial number is 86G000174.

  6. #6farmer bob2017-09-23 08:42

    Found that the issue was the foot pedal pivot bearings. Tipped the cab up to get better look. Decided against crawling underneath cab since I'm working alone. Was able to spray penetrating oil on all the pivot joints and through the holes in the pedal to lube it. Slowly freeing up. I guess using it more would be the best solution.

  7. #7DMiller2017-09-23 10:30

    Sometimes the simplest things can be at fault.