Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955L track adjuster

baddboyy21 ยท 2017-09-11 23:46

I need to replace a grease fitting on one of my track adjusters. It looks like you need to remove the guard that's on top of the grease fitting and relief valve. How does this come off? I can't see how it's held on. I've attached a pic of the guard. .

Replies6
  1. #1AllDodge2017-09-12 17:53

    Guess I need to go have a better look at mine, but the zerk should be just screwed into the fitting

  2. #2baddboyy212017-09-12 18:24

    It was welded on. I cut it off with a cutoff wheel. Changed the fitting and welded the guard back on.

  3. #3AllDodge2017-09-12 18:27

    I'm sure your right, CAT doesn't want anyone to replace a 20 cent part when they can sell them a 50 dollar part

  4. #4Metalman 552017-09-12 18:32

    If you are referring to the sheet metal door guard that covers the adjuster, over time they can strip out. On my 955L I think we drilled & tapped the next size up & it works good now. Think it may have been 3/8# 16 & we went up to 7/16 # 14 if I remember correctly. Saves welding it back down again.

  5. #5baddboyy212017-09-14 17:15

    No. There is a guard directly over the grease fitting and relief valve. It was welded onto the track adjuster assembly. I had to cut it off to remove and replace the grease fitting. I then welded it back on.

  6. #6Shields12017-10-14 19:58

    You open bleed valve to relieve pressure first. Then take the 3 or 4 bolts out holding the track adjuster cylinder to idler rod. Then push cylinder backwards toward sprocket with crow bar. The grease fitting can be removed then. Grease fitting is thread into cylinder guard is attached to rod you have to separate the two.