Hi I have a 1986 973 86g0029xx loader, I think center brake is not adjusted correctly. Any info would be great! The cat will move afew times back and forth,then I have to kill the motor then start again to make it move...I see that somebody played with the center lever on pump.I moved the lever back alittle and she moved afew extra times. I don't want to move pump lever back to far. ANY IDEAS? THANKS!
I may be bearer of bad news so DON'T shoot the messager. It is possable your filter is full of something, throttle down and see if it travels better. To adjust the center pedal linkage, open the RH small door and look at the lever with the hole in it. You should be able to thread a 5/16" NC bolt through it when pedal is at rest. Adjust linkage to make it fit. Later Bob
Thanks Bob I think I mite of adjusted it passed that point(not by much if I did) what if it runs longer(back-fourth)at low throttle?What filter mite i need to change? The 3306 runs great! I also did see that the fluid was over filled in the rear fill tube(one with the oil stick)other fill tube was in site glass. THANKS!
Adj linkage then change the HPCU filter. drain case first. Later Bob
Thanks Bob, I don't have any manuals,would that be on top in a round case? THANKS!!
Yes
hey bob i am working on it now,the pitcock won't drain,is there pressure in there or can i take the top off,then it should drain? Thanks!!!
Hey Bob thanks for all the info. changed the trans filter and it want to move but it isn't. I guess I got some air in the system,I took out about a gallon and put in about a gallon(put 30w cat oil) Does that filter have to be put in a certain way,the old filter had a couple arrows on it...the new cat filter didn't have any arrows on it. Does the hydrollic system have anything to do with this old cat to move? It feels like the brakes are sticking. THANKS!!
That trans needs 10 hyd oil. will post more in a bit. Later Bob
Are you running the engine at full throttle? If not at full speed the HPCU will slow down travel or stop altogether. There is an override linkage but might need adjustment. We use a Donaldson filter that has a more open paper, they should have offered you that. Was your old filter clean? should cut open. Later Bob
Hi Bob yes full throttle, it does seem like it want to move. Where is the overdrive linkage located? I used a cat filter I bought a cat,I told them my vin# (86g 1986)they sold me 30w. For extra maintenance how do you ck the drives fluid level? Does the two hydrollic filters effect the trans? (I would buy a book but I bought it to resell) THANKS!!!
Open LH side door pull throttle back untill it lock, spring coupling in linkage should stretch 5/8". There is a bellcrank in the linkage with a short link down to the back corner of the HPCU. Take out a pin, lift the linkage up and adjust the length untill the pin will fit in freely and lock it up. In the engine loading up when you try to move? Next we need to get inside cover. Later Bob
Hi Bob motor running a1,not stalling,I feel the drives trying to go in and move or slipping alittle,then it doesn't go in.I will look for bellcrank, Thanks Bob
You're going nowhere with 30w oil in the tranny, especially as your ambient right now is round about freezing. (Thanks Google) You need to drain it and refill with 10w or cat HYDO. If your dealer sold you 30w to go in a 973 trans, they sold you the wrong thing. What did you ask for? Transmission oil for a 973 86G, or just transmission oil?
Hi Mark 86g0029x I did tell the parts guy it was going into the trans.I did buy the trans filter from them also. I can tell the cat was monkeyed with,I only put 1 gallon in it. The center brake peddle was out of adjustment,also I think the one of the brake peddles levers at the shaft(near bell housing)was replaced. Where they put on right(( Thanks for the input
Hey Bob took a break today,alittle cold and very windy,I'll report later THANKS
Next time you start it let it warm up for half hour, then try to move it. If that doesn't work try moving it at half throttle. Let us know. Later Bob
A Bob! I ran it yesterday,it didn't move then after about a hour it did move very slowly,it seemed to me that the right track was locked up. I took left cover off by the throttle and trans control,I did see a little box in there with 4 bolts holding a small cover(didn't open it)(I guess that is where the spring is???) One time when I moved the cat it took off fast as normal(10 seconds or so)I had to shut it down(I did not want to hit something))started it again moved very slow again. Will a frozen celvis pin from trans shifter impede the trans? Where again is the adjustment on the throttle control? THANKS BOB
Good Idea, start off with an oil can and pair of pliers, oil and free up all linkage pins. Don't know about box with 4 bolts but look at the linkage from the vertical Hex shaft to the governor, that has a strechable link. Pull throttle back untill it locks in notch and see that the link has got 5/8" longer. Then look for a short link from the hex shaft going to the bellcrank. Take pin out of link to lever on back corner of HPCU. Lift up lever untill you feel contact inside then adjust linkage untill pin slides in at full throttle. Check that when the center peddal is at rest the 5/16 NC bolt will go through the hole in the lever and thread into the valve, adjust linkage to make it fit. Then try moving machine. I suspect there is a problem inside the cover. Maybe a small steel line leaking of blown off. DO NOT open cover untill you wash off HPCU thoroughly. Come on back before you take cover off too. Later Bob
THANKS BOB,I'll let you know how I make out monday or tuesday
A Bob! thanks for all the info! Today I did adjust the bellcrank shaft,I can't find what to measure -5/8 on hex shaft...I did adjust the 3306 fuel pump to get full fuel with the throttle back and locked.The bell shaft I pulled up almost to the top(can move up another 1/2" or so. The cat is moving very slow but it does move "almost" all the time. I did adjust the lever on the center brake and centered the forward/back trans lever. Should I pull up the bellcrank all the way up(I need to bend the rod a tad) The bellcrank seems very loose....THANKS BOB!! ps it moves now!
If you adjusted to get full fuel I suspect you mean full travel of throttle the link will be streched out enough. The link isn't on the hex shaft, it's on the link from the hex shaft to the governor. Now with the throttle fulley back lift the bell crank link up untill you feel it hit a spring. It should just hit the spring and the pin slide into the linkage. You can adjust the bearing assem at the bottom of the hex shaft to get more adjustment. Now clean the top we will soon get inside. This is were CAREFUL BEGINS. Is the cab jack and the red support there? Later Bob
Hi Bob! There is a red support and a cab jack(i guess the 5 big bolts on each side have to be taken out)...I hope I don't have to lift it...THANKS!
Remove the rubber hose from the top of the valve on top front of HPCU. Plug fitting in valve. After you remove the hose try to travel, make sure the brakes lock and hold you. Clean the tapped hole in the bracket before you start. The jack might need a bit of oil, squirt some in the hole with the rubber plug on the side half way up. Before you jack the cab disconnect the steering linkages and the travel linkage, Take the speed/brake link off and lock lever with the 5/16 bolt. Later Bob.
Hi Bob! didn't work on it today, THANKS BOB! ps The spring link is that on the injection pump on the motor? I did see a small expandable type link right next to pump...also what size bolts on the cab mount? ps my cat is 50 miles from me and I don't think I will work on it tomorrow THANKS!!!
The cab mounting bolts are 1"NC and use a 1 1/2" socket to remove. 3/4"drive Johnson Bar and a 6' pipe. Later Bob
10 4 Bob! if need be. Hope not! )
You need the cab up on the support to get in and lift the cover to check things out. You need the brake line (hose) off and pluged to lock the brakes. The lever for the center peddal locked with the 5/16NCbolt 1"+ long. That will make the drive work. With that done and the cover off, engine at full throttle push and pull on the travel link and watch the Underspeed Valve. It's the big spring sitting vertical behind the travel input. It should lift as soon as you move the travel link then fall as the engine loads up. It moves up and down changing the fulcrum of the travel linkage(more on that later) You need to make that happen. DO NOT DROP ANYTHING into the HPCU. Take a new cover gasket, clean old one off and use new with a few bolts snug when you leave the machine. Later Bob
A BOB, took too long of a break! I need too send you a case of beer! Anyway the cat is running pretty good now,I did adjust the throttle to 5/8 on spring and bell crank up. It doesn't move at low throttle at first, I need to put it to full to get it to move then to a slower throttle.It needs to break the right brakes free. Somebody did change one of the two levers on the bell at one time. I think the right brake lever on the bell is out of adjustment. Are they adjustable Robert? THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
They are steering controls nor brake controls and can be adjusted. Loosen the locknuts for the ends and lube threads of linkage, take out the pins, hold up levers untill you feel resistance. Adjust the levers as short as you can and still get the pins in. Then loosen the ends 6 turns and lock the nuts. The machine will travel at around half throttle but not low idle. Till not work at less than full throttle, use travel lever to control ground speed. Later Bob
Thanks Bob!
A Bob! I do thank you!!! Where do I send the beer? can you send me info off the site? I do want too send you some Sam Adams!:thumbsup
Thanks is enough would have trouble at the border. Later Bob
A Bob Give me a name of liquor store in your town,maybe you can pick up a case there....THANKS
HI BOB ONCE AGAIN! one more question please,I do still have alittle clicking on right rear drive, but it drives ok, Do you think alittle more bell crank adjusting is needed? or maybe drive is hurt? THANKS BOB!
They don't CLICK to death they Grenade. Should be fine to sell "AS IS WHERE IS" Later Bob
TEN FOUR ROBERT!:salute:salute