My Cat 973 works fine for about an hour then becomes hesitant in forward and reverse. It seems it takes a while for the pump(s) to make up their mind before it engages. Does this mean they are on the way out? Also I have a left steering pedal that appears to be sticking a little and I have to constantly adjust with the right but I can't see where it is sticking. any suggestions?
serial number helps, start by draining trans filter housing and cut open filter to inspect.lets se whats inside.
You need to take off the cast housings on the cab floor that hold the pedal shafts. Take apart and clean shafts lube bearings and reinstall. Also check the bell cranks in the linkage. Suspect your machine is leaking too much oil out of the drive loops. "works good untill warm" means an oil leak to me. The loops are filled with oil from the charge pump. If the charge pressure gets below 100PSI the system will "vent out" not drive. This feature is to prevent a start up and take off. When charge is low as in start up the lever must be cycled through park to drive. The drive motors are the first to leak. Later Bob
Thanks guys, this forum really does help. It will be a few days before I get get up to the farm and then I have to push through to the end of the road I am working on (about an hours work) then I will get it down to the shed and follow up your suggestions. serial no. 90L00828.
Get the steering linkage freed up and try it first. If those pedals seize up they will slow the travel down. Later Bob