Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

977H to buy or not to buy?

Fred from MO ยท 2011-06-30 15:57

Well turns out I have a guy a know owns a 977h that is not to far away. Asking 9,000 for the machine. I have never operated one this old. He says it has manual breaks and the steering clutches are tight so he uses the breaks to help turn. I don't know what to think of that? He said it is hard to operate. I was spoiled I know using a 963 B this spring. Would I be going back to the stone age if I bought this machine to operate in the timber.? It looks to be in decent shape?

Replies10
  1. #1spitzair2011-06-30 20:33

    Fred, I have the same machine and one a year newer with pedal steering. They are a bit different to operate, with the lever steer machine your hands will be busier. I know on my lever steer machine I need to use the brakes to make it turn, there's just too much track on the ground for it to turn without brakes. I'd say take it for a test drive and see how you like it. If everything works the way it should and the undercarriage is decent then I'd say make him an offer. I love my 977Hs, they're powerhouses and will move almost anything.

  2. #2Fred from MO2011-07-01 13:38

    Can you still get many common wear parts for these such as undercarridge etc?

  3. #3ttazzman2011-07-01 14:50

    lever steer on a loader sounds like a job for a 4 armed man........so i would expect 1/2 productivity probably a reason its in such good shape? (lack of use) Fred i saw that loader priced somewhere local........i am looking for a 953 b/c reasonably priced if you run accrossed one in your looking

  4. #4Fred from MO2011-07-01 15:28

    There is a 953 open rops for sale around Marshfield mo for around $28000. Look on Springfield's craiglist for "loader". I don't know what shape its in? Regarding the 977h, yeah 4 arms would make me feel right at home. I run an old john deere 60 tractor that has a trip loader on it, with a hand clutch. So thats: 1 arm to steer the tractor, 1 arm to work the clutch, 1 arm to work the loader arms and 1 arm to trip the bucket. Im about 2 arms short when I run the machine. So yes it goes slow and I think, boy back in the day someone thought that this was "real uptown" compaired to a shovel and wheelbarrow. I am getting spoiled as I get older!!:tong

  5. #5Fred from MO2011-07-01 15:30

    Come to think of it, I bought that loader after I bought the tractor and the loader I put on it was in real good shape too. Probably like you said, from lack of use!!

  6. #6ttazzman2011-07-01 15:52

    there is a 953b open rops in the marshfield area going for 22,500 but it is in my opinion a bit over priced considering condition. but Thx i can relate to machines that need 4 arms but your right sure beats a shovel .....and if it doesnt cost much that keeps your risk low incase it breaks

  7. #7spitzair2011-07-01 18:27

    Fred, I do believe that pretty much most if not all parts are available. Years ago when I needed parts for my D6 9U Finning, our local cat dealer, told me they can get me any part I needed. Berco would probably have all the parts you need for your undercarriage and I'm sure there are others too, not sure what the cost woud be though... I'm sure Quiktrax would know, or at least be able to give you a better answer than I ever could. My newer 977H had the tracks worn right out but the older one had a new undercarriage on it. Since the engine has a miss on the older 977 I've started swapping all the undercarriage bits and pieces over to the newer one. The older one even has segmented sprockets on it, unfortunately the new one doesn't but it's sprockets are still in great condition, otherwise I'd be very tempted to swap them over too. I'll attach a few pictures of the older machine. The first picture is after I got it running for the first time in probably 10 years, the second is unloading it off the lowbed at home, the third and fourth are my brother in law driving it around. As you can see it does smoke a little, hence I'm not using it much. Since the pictures were taken I've found a bucket for it but haven't had the time yet to install it but hope to soon... On edit: Ok the pictures all posted out of order... Pic 1 and 4 are my brother in law driving it around, #2 is unloading it at home and #3 is the first time it ran in years...

  8. #8Buckethead2011-07-01 20:10

    That was normal on the older machines with clutch/brake steering. The hand levers disengage the clutches, the pedals work the brakes. Pulling the clutch gives you a gradual turn, pulling the clutch and then applying the brake for that side gives you a sharp turn. It's different than the foot pedal steer machine where clutches and brakes were both activated by the pedals. Undercarriage should be the same as a D7 of the same vintage.

  9. #9dtt4542011-08-03 20:09

    most all the origional parts are still avalible from the dealer, there is a good used market, there seems to be pleanty track loader parts avalible used. and then there is aftermarket, you can get most of the wear parts aftermarket, but sometimes you get what you pay for........ also for old machines like that, cat has there own line of parts they call "classic" parts for roughly 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of the part new. although ive heard its more or less just there brand of aftermarket, you dont get much warranty with classic parts.

  10. #10Old Magnet2011-08-03 23:28

    The weak point on those old 53A's is the bevel gear shaft. That's actually a late 9U and D6B shaft in there. If that stays good it will probably outlive several owners.