Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD450 fuel pump question

Kap450 ยท 2011-07-02 14:39

I have a late 60's early 70's JD450. I ran it out of fuel the other day. According to the manual you need to prime it with the lever on the side of the fuel pump to fill filter #1 then filter #2 then loosen the fuel solenoid and prime till it flows with no air bubbles. I have noticed that there is no pressure on the primer lever. Is this normal or is there a problem with the fuel pump. I have been able to prime filter#1 and have pulled the primer lever 75-80 times trying to get fuel to filter # 2 to fill with no fuel coming out. Is this normal? Wil the fuel finally come through if I keep pumping? I have replaced both fuel filters.

Replies8
  1. #1tool_king2011-07-02 17:12

    tap engine over with for couple of seconds .you need to be on the cam lobe for the pump to work .

  2. #2Kap4502011-07-02 18:24

    Thanks that worked. I got her running. I also noticed that there is fuel misting out of the injector pump. I noticed there is a bolt on each side that has a hole in the head of it and there is a steady mist flowing out of one of them. Is that normal?

  3. #3tool_king2011-07-02 22:19

    What bolt are you talking about? Can you take picture of the bolt and email it to me at [email protected] or post it here

  4. #4Kap4502011-07-02 22:25

    I will in the morning when there is light .

  5. #5tool_king2011-07-02 22:40

    ok I will be looking forward to seeing it.

  6. #6drs10232012-03-27 09:35

    I replaced the pump on my late 60's JD 450 with the automotive type - without the primer lever. I was quoted over a hundred dollars for the original type, and under $20 for the automotive type. I had to prime with an electric pump, so I learned not to run out of fuel anymore.

  7. #7tool_king2012-03-27 15:51

    Just make sure that the pump can work with diesel fuel .Might eat up the seals in pump.

  8. #8drs10232012-03-27 16:57

    You are correct: I would think gasoline would be more caustic in nature than diesel fuel. I installed the automotive type around 5 years ago, and it may fail again at any time. I removed the original one after more than 40 years of use. It still had the original JD yellow paint all over it.