Guy on MO craigslist(Columbia and St. Louis sites) has a 977K that had a severe oil leak so parked it, 10 years ago and has not run since, asking $6500, also has an old Cat Grader for $2200 same situation has not run or moved in years. Opinions? Anyone wanting one to work on? http://stlouis.craigslist.org/hvo/4341529252.html
damn wish i had the money. D are you thinking about buying it?
That 12 would probably start right up, I wish I was closer I would own it.
I was considering but having been a mechanic and knowing what ails a old machine that sat too long I hesitate, then looking at the rails I hesitate a little more. Also have dealt with the type before, he considers it a gold mine, scrap price here(clean, cut up and hauled in) is around $5500 while he asks $6500 as is where is, even as a parts machine someone like Zimmerman or Chartrand won't go that high as they still have to load and haul it. If I could convince the man(doubtful) to drain the old fuel/water, let me add 5 to 10 gallons of HIS fuel, put my batteries in it and get it to start I would consider making a offer, but only after I figured out what that bad oil leak was that parked it to begin with. Rails, shoes/bolts and rollers will run around $8-12,000 dependent on where bought, segments another couple grand with idlers reman from Fabick. Any seals pop and you're back to rails off, any seals dried out and you could be pulling a shuttle trans, any major engine oil leaks may have done something internally before he got it stopped. Pays your money, takes your chances. Gotta give credit though, machine does not look rough housed.
Offer him cash and get it. Steel might be hard to get in the future.
Can't do just now, about two weeks into building a new house, have loan process moving forward so no cash for awhile anyway. Did think long and hard to talk myself out of it.
depends on what serial number it is,3306 engine worth $2K all day long.Transmission core is around $1500/2000 as well.Easier to sell it as a whole machine than part it and wait forever to move old niche market parts.These old machines are reasonably bulletproof,maybe its just a trans valve hyd line leaking.the K's ran the older pitch track..I think 8"pitch..the L's used 8.5"
I have a workmate that lives near the machine, he is 'Acquainted' with the owner and will not deal with him as his family are/were in direct competition as grade contractors with him years ago. He suspects the machine had a catastrophic failure more than a fluid leak to get it parked as the owner did all he could to cutthroat rates to get work, possibly including skimping on maintenance or ignoring issues until failure. He has evidently been out of the business for close to the ten years the machines have been parked save for dump truck hauling for local paving/rock and contract work. Another man at work called to see if he could try to get it to run before purchase was told would add money to the price if running but buy it and get it to run was OK, can't make run first without adding to the sales price so there is something eerily wrong there.
DMiller, its sometimes best just to keep your head down and focus on the important things like a Home for the family, so hommage to you for your mindset, but I would be like a "Rat up a Pipe" for that banger, the 977anything used to be fairly common around in the U.K. once, now it would be like finding a Ming Vase here as they have all been exported, I would not care if the engine was missing I would be owning the beast, I have my House but I would love a 977, and boy see does look the part I would rebuild the transmission just for fun, anyhow best of luck with your house project. tctractors
I talked to the guy about it, kind of hard to deal with. Machine looks decent in the pictures but not running and sitting so long makes me Leary. He won't let you work on it unless you buy it. I'm thinking it's to high for the chance maybe 4 to 4500 would be worth risking.
Offer him scrap value. If it doesn't run and he won't let you work on it unless you buy it then that's all it's worth as it stands at this moment in time and not a single cent more - IMHO.