Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 cat 953 loader

dozier man ยท 2014-02-26 10:13

you guys that have these machines have you hauled them on a 20 ton airbrake tagalong behind a tandem i haul mine now on a 35 lowboy but want to downsize 1 truck 1 trailer just wondering because i have a bame 20 ton and i get mixed opinions from the dealer the trailer weighs 8500 to 10000 lbs and my loader weighs in 31000 to 32000 its borderline to me what do you guys think

Replies2
  1. #1DMiller2014-02-26 21:29

    It is more to the stopping power of the brakes and the shear capacity on the pintle as to how you use it, to put 15 ton on it is not a issue so long as the truck pulling is rated to stop that weight should the brakes not do so well on the trailer, you should have at least a six bolt(30T) pintle hook on the truck preferably with a brake piston damper in it, as to the trailer just keep an eye on the pintle ring and connecting fasteners, any noticed movement, distortion or loosening is indication you have gone too heavy. I know of two being done near me with one pushing those limits a tad, he had a LN9000 Ford, older but quite effective, it has full type 30 rear chamber tandem axle brakes and Hendrickson style suspension, his has all four wheels parking brake cans and type 20 fronts that do work. The trailer was converted to cam air brake from the old style wedge assemblies, much better set up but still only 15" foundation brakes on it.

  2. #2Deliacorpny2014-02-26 22:55

    I'm a one trailer guy, I have an eager beaver 25 xpl ,25 ton tag I used to move my 977l on it ! Before I had that I had a 20xpt that I moved 320s 953 s and 963s, no prob ,thats around nyc too.. I upgraded to the 25 ton but my 20 did it all fine! Lol **** to me my 25 is a lowboy I've moved a 322 on it ! Just dont get caught! But if I were in the trailer market def go for the 25 ton. My eager beaver is nice but not crazy bout the roto rings! Make sure your running a 50ton Pindle on ur truck and a good eye on the trailer! I've seen me snap like pretzels with a ******** 315 on , that 3rd axle makes a big diff. Cam superline , bws, felling all make super nice trailers! I would go with one on next trailer