Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

977L Bucket swap

Cat977 · 2025-07-25 19:56

Anyone know if a 1981 977L bucket would fit on a 1972 977L?

Replies11
  1. #1bam19682025-07-25 23:20

    I'm pretty sure they will interchange but not 100% sure. I have a later 14X 977L here that I could take some measurements if that would help you??

  2. #2Welder Dave2025-07-26 01:19

    The 1972 is an early L series. I wouldn't think there's much changes to the boom and bucket.

  3. #3Nige2025-07-26 04:16

    If you have the Serial Numbers of both machines it would be easy enough to check if the lift arms are the same part number or the same measurements.

  4. #4Cat9772025-07-26 09:37

    Mine is 11K5251 Donor14X2316. Thanks Gentlemen! Nige your such a help with lines into the belly of Cat!

  5. #5Nige2025-07-26 10:04

    11K5251 Lift Arm As - 7K-9851 14X2316 Lift Arm As - 7G-2834 7G-2834 iis listed as a Field Replacement for 7K-9851 Although they are not exactly identical a 7G-2834 can be installed in place of a 7K-9851 with some modifications to the lift cylinder brace in place of the former lift support link. See the attachment. The bucket pins are the same for both.

  6. #6Cat9772025-07-26 10:27

    This would say to me the bucket would bolt up to either lift arm assembly. Also it is good to know the arms are backward supported. I’m impressed that Cat took the time to do so. Out of warranty I bet. Nige that you can lay your hands on this so fast is a true amazement!

  7. #7Nige2025-07-26 10:38

    I concur, but the support link (if it's still there) on your current lift arm will not fit the new one. Some modifications may be required.

  8. #8Cat9772025-07-26 11:10

    Let me feel a little foolish in asking... What kind of support is the chain link on the upper piviot pins on the right hand of the machine for? (I'm not sur if the 977L has them I may be confussing it with the 977K which I'm sure does). Have they been ruled unsafe? There isn't a support for use at the lift cylinder on mine. If the donors can be used on mine I maybe able to get it from the donor machine.

  9. #9bam19682025-07-26 13:16

    The only chain link that I can think of simply was attached to basically a bolt with a big washer that screwed into one of the pins to secure the piece that secured the lift arms in the raised position. Clear as mud? I always thought it was a less than perfect way to secure the lift arms but it seemed to work. Basically saying all the chain did was to keep a person from losing that bolt with a big washer welded to it.

  10. #10Nige2025-07-26 15:37

    The original support link for preventing the Lift Arm/bucket from coming down while doing service work is mounted on the RH side of the machine as shown below. Also the installation instructions that show both early and later types of support. It would not surprise me if it was missing on your machine.

  11. #11Cat9772025-07-26 15:52

    I found the link an easy way of holding the arms up. A little scary looking but easy. I was careful to work it towards the center of the machine. I let the arms settle down on their own leakage. I'm glad to know it's safe, but I can see why trouble could easily be found. Cat also must have said "time to go back to a tried and true method".