Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is this debris in my Cat 963 HPCU (hydrostat).

Georgia Iron · 2025-07-23 22:53

I have been going through my 21z 963 loader. When I bought it, it would not move. Put in a new hydraulic filter in the hpcu it was super dirty and the transmission looked like it had rust in the oil or maybe dirt. I put in a new filter and it came right to life. I ran the machine about for 8 hours. I am doing a full service on it currently. Drained the hydro fluid (very dirty) and found this metal in the bottom of the tank. It seems to be very thin steel. It does seem out of place wondering if you guys have seen anything like this when your hpcu starts to act up? The loader seems to work fine currently just wondering if I might need to dig deeper? What do you think?

Replies7
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-07-24 07:51

    I would guess it’s a filter that blew apart or rotted at some point. Is there a coarse screen cup still in the filler neck?

  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2025-07-24 08:37

    that might be part of gasket for the head on the hpcu there are places where it sticks out and is not sealing nothing and it just vibrated off. The thing about the filter is if a filter gets plugged it doesn’t bypass it dumps charge pressure to sump so no charge it won’t move as long as you don’t see brass or something that looks like coal I wouldn’t get too excited

  3. #3Georgia Iron2025-08-01 19:45

    Ok. Thanks Pittsburgh Cat. I changed the filter and fluid. It is strange looking under this machine. At some point someone spent some money on it. Some of the hoses are new and it looks better than you would think from the bottom side. I tried to start it up today and the instrument cluster is dead no lights. I thought it was battery related I cut the ends off and pressed on new terminals. No dice. The cluster is dead. I tried the main circuit breaker with no luck. Maybe I fried the instrument cluster welding on the tractor. Some one walked off with my power probe so I am poking around with a meter. I can't find where it is loosing power yet.

  4. #4pittsburgh cat man2025-08-01 19:55

    I seem to remember a test switch for monitor panel does it do anything with that?

  5. #5Georgia Iron2025-08-01 20:13

    Maybe i over looked that switch do you know where it is?

  6. #6pittsburgh cat man2025-08-01 20:18

    should be by the monitor it's spring loaded to off

  7. #7pittsburgh cat man2025-08-01 20:28

    Test switch is number 17