Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

977L Metal in torque converter sump

Jshaner · 2023-12-24 00:32

Hello, I've got a 977L s/n 11K7726 that I just acquired. I drained the transmission fluid and found some mystery metal in the bottom of the torque converter housing and was hoping someone on here might recognize where it has come from. I've attached a picture of what I found. Thanks

Replies16
  1. #1OzDozer2023-12-24 06:30

    It is the innards of your torque converter and it needs to come out, and be completely rebuilt.

  2. #2Nige2023-12-24 07:51

    Torque converter out time…… Do you have manuals yet.? It you don’t you are going to need them PDQ.

  3. #3Jshaner2023-12-24 08:39

    I had one, but lost it when I wrecked my service truck...will be ordering a new one soon!

  4. #4Diesel Dave2023-12-24 08:58

    The top bushing looks like it could be from a starter motor nose.

  5. #5Nige2023-12-24 09:20

    That's not pieces of a starter motor pinion in the bottom of the photo by any chance.?

  6. #6OzDozer2023-12-24 09:36

    We need some idea of component sizes, with a photo placing a tape alongside the pieces. I was presuming they were much larger than starter motor parts, because there was no size indication in the photo. But if the parts are smaller than I first thought, then yes, it is very likely the bottom parts are a starter pinion that has shattered, and the bushing at top could be the remains of a starter nose bronze bushing.

  7. #7Mobiltech2023-12-24 09:54

    I’m voting for starter drive gear and nose bearing from a previous starter failure. Not too concerning.

  8. #8Jshaner2023-12-24 14:23

    More pictures with size reference.

  9. #9Nige2023-12-24 16:30

    The sleeve bearing at the pinion end of the motor measures approximately 7/8" long, 3/4" outside diameter, and 1/16" wall thickness.

  10. #10Joe H2023-12-24 18:17

    How the nickle and the bat token from Samoa got in there is the real mystery. Joe H

  11. #11OzDozer2023-12-24 18:52

    Thanks for the size reference, that's excellent. Sure looks like broken starter pinion teeth, and bronze starter nose bushing, from the measurements.

  12. #12Jshaner2023-12-24 19:57

    I sure hope you all are right that it's the remains of an old starter. This loader has been repainted with not a ton of hours of runtime but lots of sitting since,judging by how little paint is worn off, yet the starter is black. So hopefully that adds a little more credibility to the theory. I appreciate everyone's input. Merry Christmas

  13. #13OzDozer2023-12-24 20:52

    Check your transmission magnetic screen and filter for debris, they generally reveal a lot more about transmission and TC condition than anything else. Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas with no more transmission debris frights!

  14. #14Jshaner2023-12-24 21:55

    Neither the magnetic screen or filter were alarming in my opinion. The magnetic screen had plenty of black fuzz on it, but no real chunks.

  15. #15Dave Neubert2023-12-25 08:34

    Since there is no aluminum in there I would say starter parts

  16. #1656wrench2023-12-25 10:35

    After the starter drive grenaded, i wonder how the flywheel ring gear is? It would be worth checking if you remove the starter and bar the engine over to check the entire circumference