hey guys. i have a 977L that is starting to see alot more use than it used to. im wanting to go through and change all fluids and filters (trans, finals ,hydraulic.... everything) My question is that is the bevel gears and steering clutches oiled from trans side or finals. The reason i ask is there are two drain plugs above the finals on underside of housing, i cracked one open and oil was clean but seemed darker than whats on trans dipstick. is this trans oil? Which brings my second question, im located in south central tx so 105 deg with 80% humidity is not uncommon. From alot of my reading it calls for a 30wt to-4 drive train oil but considering climate I ve been told to run a 50 wt in trans and finals.... it does still run when cold but never below freezing.... should 50 wt be fine?
Can't answer your other question but TO-4 SAE50 would be fine in your climate for those compartments.
Thanks nige....there is a plug to the outside, above and forward of the final case, like 3o clock so my thinking is it can't be trans oil because the trans is higher than that level and if I open it oil is just under plug. Separate compartment? All I have is a parts book on this machine which doesn't help for this...I'm just trying to take care of this old girl... It's a really good machine in really good shape overall so I figure even as expensive as oils are they're still cheap compared to hard parts. Wanna make sure I cover it all.