Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Starting issue with Cummins 6T590

viking1 ยท 2014-07-19 17:24

Ok, recently swapped a rebuilt Cummins 6T590 into my 855D track loader (details here: HeavyEquipmentForums ). It had been operating perfectly till the other day it shut off abruptly (almost as if I had turned off the electric fuel shutoff). Plenty of fuel all the way from tank to pump, so I pulled the Bosch solenoid on the injector pump, pulled out the plunger, and still no go. Does anyone know a safe way to use ether or the like to determine if this IS a fuel issue? Seems to have great compression, and if it has fuel it has to run, right? I was thinking perhaps the pin on the pump drive gear may have sheared; will have to get someone to watch thru the inspection hole while I crank the engine to determine that.

Replies4
  1. #1viking12014-07-19 23:35

    Got it going after bleeding injectors. Methinks someone put water in my fuel, as it continues to starve out on a grade. Will drain & change fuel and try again tomm...

  2. #2oregon96pd2014-07-20 01:11

    Whats it have for fuel pressure, anywhere it could be sucking air in the suction line, have you changed the fuel filters?

  3. #3viking12014-07-20 14:34

    That doesn't seem to be the case, as I have fuel at all injectors. I drained the filter/separator and refilled it again, as well as opening the lower drain on the fuel tank itself to lose any water that was in there. After all that, now I cant get it to fire at all. That's a major inconvenience, as its blocking my driveway so that I'm now only motorcycle accessible. Its strange, but the machine ran fine on level ground; as soon as I tried to go up a grade it died again. Starting to think perhaps my injector pump isn't putting out enough pressure, but that still doesn't explain why it dies on hills.....

  4. #4viking12014-07-22 19:16

    All squared away after draining fuel completely. Lock your fuel tanks folks; its a helluva lot easier than the repair that's necessary after getting vandalized......