I am new to the site (first post). I've been searching for some information on a Cat 977L in regards' to shifting. It belongs to a friend, the shift lever moves back and forth and nothing happens. According to operator it worked before it was parked. I don't know if its a fluid issue (lack of) or some sort of linkage issue. Since it did work then stopped all of a sudden I'm thinking it is something simple. I have never worked on heavy equipment but just about everything else. Is there some simple things to look at before I spend $200 on a manual? Cat Model 977L manufacture date 1977. Any help would be great, I assume there is a separate filter and oil for the trans but not sure of the location.
I'm no expert but I would check the transmission oil level first. If it is an 11K serial number the trans dipstick is under the seat as well as the trans fill tube. IT may be in the same place on the 14X serial number machines but I don't know that for a fact. If I recall you want to check it with the engine idling. I'm pretty sure the transmission filter is under the floor board.
niccone There is a bypass valve on the front of the transmission, mine was bad and would not move. The trans filter is under your front right foot, where the panel will easily remove. There is also a magnetic screen filter under the floor in front of the throttle and shifter lever. The dip stick and fill area is under the seat. If it does not have sufficient fluid, it does not want to move.