We are looking for a haul truck that we can put in our gravel pit. Its a truck that wont be used all day everyday but we will probably put 500 hours on it per year. I came accost a 2005 Terex TA Gen7 at a pretty reasonable price but i have no experience with them at all. I see it has a Cummins motor and i thought i saw it had a Allison transmission which both seem like pretty good brand names. Just wondering if anyone has any previous experience or input on Terex haul trucks in general. We have 3 Terex dealers that are within about an hour of our shop so im thinking parts and service will be ok. We rent CAT haul trucks all the time for site work projects so im not expecting a Terex to compare to a CAT truck or a VOLVO at all. Just looking for a decent truck at a reasonable price.
Well, first, Terex does not make those anymore. Terex sold the truck lineup to Volvo a while back. I assume you would buy parts from the Volvo dealer now. I also assume Volvo is no longer building any of the former Terex articulated trucks, since they have the Volvo artics, which in most people's opinion is a much better truck. It would be a good idea to check on current parts availability for those orphan trucks.
Not sure about down your way, but in western Canada I can get Terex parts pretty readily... I have a few TA40s on my books with detroits and allisons. They are ok trucks, just don't expect a Volvo! The biggest problem with them is that some of the systems are over engineered and some typical brand sucker mechanics are "afraid" to venture out of the norm therefore don't like them one bit.