3 weeks ago, had a bearing come apart on my '98 Pete 378, 14.5K Accuride front end according to what the Pete dealer got from the VIN. It was a sudden failure, created a hairline crack in the hub and heated the spindle enough to slightly discolor it. Bearings were easy enough to find, hub and spindle not so much. Finally decided to switch both hubs to hub pilot in order to get that solved, but the only spindle I've been able to find is salvage, same parts #, but the kingpin holes are too small. Wondering if anyone has a lead on anyone I could call to try and source an OEM spindle. The Pete dealers in my immediate area say there's nothing to be had anywhere in their system, and based on the one salvage part I found I'm not real wild about going that route. I am going to take the damaged spindle to a couple machinists, see what they're opinion is on the heat discoloring, whether it was enough to weaken the integrity of the spindle. I'd even be interested in a complete axle assembly if it comes to that. This truck is matched with a 4-axle Sturdyweld transfer trailer, and is worth keeping on the road, clean and a good runner.
1-541-922-6455, ask for Dwayne-----Hagerman, Umatilla Ore.
Accuride----not listed as Steer Teck, I have never heard of Accuride as a brand name for a axle, wheels-yes. Is this axle a early fabricated or forged? Because most parts for early style fabricated axles are no longer. Is it a two piece or single piece spindle?
Forged axle beam, one piece spindle/knuckle. Actually had a piece of luck yesterday - a local Pete dealer noted a 6-digit part number that was hooked to the steer/suspension parts list, I chased it down and found out it was linked to Dana, Eaton and Spicer numbers. I went out to the shop and pulled dimensions/casting #s off. What I have matched an Eaton OEM he found out in Washington, so with assurances of return if incorrect it's on the way. The Accuride story came from another Pete dealer out east. I wasn't aware they made anything other than wheels, hubs and some braking components, but you never know.
That was the issue----snap a large chalk line on the eastern Mont state line from Canada to Mexico. Never want to go any further east than that and no parts beyond the chalk line.