Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some difficulty starting M11 not fuel related

Welder Dave · 2024-10-13 22:17

I was hauling some clay today and shut the truck off while I loaded it. Usually it starts right up when I get back in it. This one time though it took 3 tries to get it started. I had to crank it a little longer than normal. After that one time it started up as it normally does. Curious what would cause the odd starting the one time?

Replies7
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-10-14 00:50

    Is this a manual pt injection pump---if so the fuel shut off solenoid can pull that trick, and go back to operating as usual. If it is manual turn it to manual mode with thumb screw at solenoid see if it starts, then turn it back to auto mode & try again.

  2. #2Welder Dave2024-10-14 02:43

    Thanks TS, good to know it doesn't seem to be a serious problem. I think it's only happened twice. I don't recall seeing a thumb screw on the IP. Here's some pics. from when I was fixing the loss of prime.

  3. #3Truck Shop2024-10-14 08:45

    That's because it's a Celect electronic injection. The next thing to check is the cam/rotation sensor wiring/connection, should be located at accessory drive housing below air compressor.

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-10-14 22:18

    I found this connector kind of hidden behind things but it was zip tied on one side to hold it in place. I'm curious what the bigger thing is. It's on a metal bracket but just zip tied to the harness. It appears someone went to a lot of trouble to put the wires in plastic loom and zip tie them so they stay in place. They must have known the wiring pretty well because most of the former plow wiring was chopped off but the wires for the solenoid valves were labeled with masking tape. Of course it's impossible to read now. I'm sure glad I came to the decision to wire the box solenoid direct to the battery. Originally I thought a solenoid coil for the hoist was bad and was going to change it with another one that isn't used. With GPS and all the other wiring and electronics for the plows and sand spreader it was mind boggling when I opened up the center console.

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-10-14 22:37

    This is some of the system and wiring. I have no idea what most of the stuff, like the 2nd pic. is for. The 3rd pic. gives an idea of how much electronics and wiring there is. There's also a GPS box on the back wall of the cab.

  6. #656wrench2024-10-15 10:35

    The old GM Brigadier plow trucks early 80’s were a nightmare with the sander and plow wiring. No two were wired the same. I talked to an old Alberta Transportation mechanic who confirmed it

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-10-15 19:09

    I can believe it. Somebody told me Alberta had about 400 of the L9000 plow trucks. Even the joystick that used to operate the box had a circuit board on it. Just a mess of wires and electronics.