Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

980c steering hydraulics issue

catfixer ยท 2013-05-04 07:43

I had some guys I work with pull the cylinders off of our 980c to get resealed. rather than just unhook the lines at the cylinders they removed the junction blocks. Long story short nothing was marked and they hooked up the lines wrong. The transmission filled with hydraulic oil so I assumed they backflowed the pump and blew the shaft seal. Removed the pump last night and sent it to the pump shop only to find out that it is functioning properly. Is it possible that the oil bypassed the seal without damaging it and then stopped bypassing when the lines were put back on the right way. I'm bout stumped.

Replies3
  1. #1Bob/Ont2013-05-04 14:17

    I wonder if they hooked a steering or another hyd line up to the trans. Can you run it long enough to see if the steering is working? Later Bob

  2. #2catfixer2013-05-05 23:05

    I didn't see any lines going to the tranny that could have been hooked to the cylinders. the steering pump is getting resealed now and i will reinstall it. The guy at the pump shop said something about there being a secondary steering pump. I don't know if there is one but I looked all over that transmission and haven't seen one.

  3. #3rare ss2013-05-06 09:17

    if you look on the front output shaft of the drop box it will be mounted up to the idler gear (if it's fitted) as its driven from the driveshaft speed (works while your rolling with no engine power)