Hi all. Looking for GET to fit a 102-0632 Modulok bucket installed on a 994. Cat has discontinued these parts but a few years ago the Modulok system was very popular. I'm betting/hoping that someone somewhere has Dead Stock sitting in a warehouse that they'd like to get rid of. These are the parts we're looking for in any sort of quantities - 1. 109-3138 or 128-5925 Cover - Edge. 2. 109-3139 or 128-5926 Cover - Edge-RH 3. 109-3140 or 128-5927 Cover - Edge-LH. 4. 104-2001 Plate-Wear 5. 101-1809 Cover-Adapter 5. 101-1808 Adapter - Tooth The only other option is to replace the lip to accept bolt-on GET and I don't have $80k sitting in my back pocket right now.
Try Hensley or HE Parts, they had some a couple years ago. I know that some GET parts made by other than than OEM can get to be troublesome to find, especially with corporate takeovers and buyouts of a few years ago. I have found that some components that seems like you could get at Walmart years ago, some parts people don't even recognize the name now. Good luck.
Bill, thanks for the suggestion. We're working that angle also and we have found that there are still a few odd pieces of aftermarket GET for the above Part Numbers kicking around. Problem is that they are more expensive than Cat OEM...!!
This is what I can find 128-5927 Stock location MOR has 18 101-1809 replaced by 117-6801 MEL has 2 101-1808 YRK has 1, WAC has 9 and MEL has 2 This is some rare stuff indeed, feels like it is time to bite the bullet and convert to something not made of unobtanium......
Nige did you try Esco I no from useing there get thats made in australia thats may have same we were useing the products on 994 .800.900.1200,komatsu,s
Nige, Can you replace the adapters with 6I-8801 teeth and get a Bolt On Gum Guard and redrill the Floor to suit.
Vintage Parts LLC takes on all Cats dead stock and can sometimes be a winner, heck they even had an 825H cleaner bar bracket a while back when Cat didn,t. DBS said to go to VP and the 825H was current model!!
I do have a few options I suppose: - Option 1 - stay with the same GET and try to find it/have it made. Many Aftermarket GET suppliers are preprared to make the stuff. Option 2 - Replace the complete lip on the bucket with the later version that has bolt-on GET. That would then make it identical to all our other buckets. Disadvantage is cost and the complexity of the welding process for the replacement. Option 3 - Drill the existing lip (oh what fun - drilling 35 x 2" dia. holes + 3-1/2" dia. counterbore, in a 4" thick lip) to take bolt-on GET. That would then mean the same 6I-8804 Adapters used on our other buckets would fit and I wouldn't need either the 101-1808 Adapter or the 117-6801 Cover. The 3 Part Numbers of Edge Cover would also be replaced using the same numbers for bolt-on as we already have. Option 4 - See if I can convert the lip protectors into the newly-released Capsure design protectors just released for the 994. This would still mean drilling the lip but instead of drilling 5 through holes + the appropriate counterbore for the bolts to fix each lip protector, I would only have to drill 2 blind holes to fix each one and no counterbore. I only got hold of the preliminary information about these protectors yesterday. This is new iron on the market but we are using Capsure teeth on loaders and ripper tips on D10 already and IMHO they are the answer to the maidens prayer when it comes to ease of changing GET and keeping pins in place. What I'm basically trying to do is buy enough time in the short term that I can put a plan in place that gives us the best bang for our buck in the long term. P.S. Someone bought this bucket without telling me ......... After I found out I asked "Has anyone looked at GET for it?" and was met by a stunned silence .........
Gotta love those failure to communicate moments, don't you Nige? Hopefully you find a nice stockpile to give you some time to plan.
It's funny we were in a training class for a couple of days this week on Root Cause Failure Analysis and between different failures handled as exercises by the 6 groups in the class (most of whom were Process Plant germs) the only factor that came up more than once was, guess what - [Poor] Quality of Blasting ......... Our issue right now is that Mine Ops are regularly breaking the loaders simply by trying to dig material the machines aren't really capable of digging because it ain't blasted right. For the uninitiated that's why they're know as Front-End LOADERS not Front-End Excavators.
Nige I've brought CAT aftermarket GET from these guys in the past.. may be worth a call http://www.cuttingedges.com/
Here is what I came up with. 128-5925 is made as ordered 128-5926 is MAO but 6 are expected in Morton on July 3 128-5927 Morton has 18 104-2001- MAO but 13 are expected in Morton on 5/17 101-1809- 5 are in Melbourne 101-1808- 9 in Waco, 1 in York and 2 in Melbourne
Thanks to all for the info. We've now managed to secure enough stock of GET to enable us to buy time to make a plan. We've decided to go long-term with Capsure Edge Protectors - we already use the teeth. All we have to do is work on a procedure to drill/bore the lip for the Pin Lugs. This is what we have right now on our other buckets - Capsure teeth with bolt-on Edge Covers in between the adapters. The Edge Covers covers weight 480 pounds apiece....!! We'll go to Capsure Edge Protectors & Sidebar Protectors all at the same time. Despite the fact the Edge Covers are heavier at 520 pounds each at least there is a lifting eye on them and they are installed without using any thing other than a 3/4" drive cheater bar. So no bolts to tighten to 2000ft.lbs. any more ...........
How do you safely remove the heavy bits after the lift eyes wear off? Weld something on i'm guessing just curious what.
Nige, I hope the CapSure teeth and lip savers work better for you than the ripper teeth we have started using. We have an issue with the pins breaking and the teeth getting lost.......frequently. If there is ANY wear in the shank, the teeth wiggle just a little, and put all the pressure on the single locking point on the pin, which breaks the pin. At least, with the standard drive through pins and locks, you have support on both sides. I feel the design could be better.
What we do is rotate the Capsure retainers the required half turn to unlock them then start up the machine and roll the bucket over ....... gravity does the rest ..... Alco, I was VERY vary of the Capsure tips when we got them, but to date we haven't lost a single one to my knowledge, and we've been using them well over a year now. Neither have we had issues with Capsure rippers tips - yet, but time will tell, we haven't been using them long. However it's one of the things we keep an eye on. Dozer operators starting to reverse before lifting the ripper tip completely out of the ground will break even conventional pins. Are you using Capsure shank protectors on your rippers as well..? Any trouble with those breaking pins..? Installing any GET on a worn adapter or worn base will cause retention issues with even conventional fixings. We get anal about building up ripper shanks, tooth adapters, etc, to original profile if for any reason they ever get worn, before installing replacement GET. In the need arose for example we'd change a worn ripper shank (we carry ready-rigged spares in the welding shop) for a spare one rather than just put a new tip on it and risk it falling off. But from what I hear you guys have bigger fish to fry up there to worry about ripper shanks .....??
See, i knew you would have a simple solution.
No, we don't use the CapSure shank protectors, only the tips. We never had an issue with losing tips until the switch to the CapSure. When I say ANY wear, I mean ANY wear what so ever........if the tip is not having to be forced into position, or basically, if it isn't bottomed out and will wiggle even a fraction of an inch, the pins will shear after a very short time. If we find the old style pin/retainer style teeth, we always use those instead, and they will run problem free on the same shank that keeps losing the CapSure teeth. Please do tell about the problems we have up here. It's always fun to hear from someone thousands of miles away what they feel is wrong with us, based on someone else's comments.
I wasn't trying to be smart mate, just picking up on comments you made on other threads about issues you have up there. Plus I know a couple of guys who I used to work with who've gone to Fort McMurray. Based on that I figured that losing ripper tips would probably come a long way down the list of "things that need fixing". Back to the ripper tip issue. What we've found is that our rippers will even spit conventional style pins with locks on them unless the ripper shank is absolutely perfect. So much so that some time back we would weld plates over the ends of the holes for the pin to stop them getting spat out. With a programme to build up shanks on both the tooth adapter and also the 2 "pads" where the shank protector sits we're past that stage now.
Fair enough, sounded like you were making a dig at us. Sorry I misinterpreted your comment. What we have found is that the shanks have to be better than perfect to hold onto the new tips. 15-221 dozer lost the tip it came with from the dealer when brand, new because the pin sheared. I put the new tip on, and it was just the tiniest bit loose. Not from wear, but from the factory.....no wiggle room at all. I think the idea behind them is decent, and they are OK to change out. The only problem changing them, is having to dig the built up tarsand out of the square hole. It packs in some tight, and it's really sticky. What I would like to see done, is to put locks on both sides, and have two stub pins washers that would allow the tooth to lock solid, and take half the force applied per pin. I just don't feel one pin is sufficient for the force a D11T can apply to the tip.
What my information from Cat tells me is that they are coming with some type of plug that will go into the square holes and prevent them getting full of crap. I can imagine how trying to get the tar sand out of the hole could be a problem. Thanks for the heads up, we will be watching these new ripper tips even more carefully after hearing of your experiences.