Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

980G

Truck Shop ยท 2023-06-22 20:59

Question for you Cat loader guy's. Besides many hours, what causes the steering to start a rapid oscillation/twitch? I'm not going to repair it-had to use/operate a 980G this week that had that issue, very annoying.

Replies9
  1. #1Truck Shop2023-06-22 22:02

    I guess no one knows.

  2. #2Mark2502023-06-22 22:04

    TS. it would depend whether it has normal steering or command steer normal steering will have a full circle steering wheel command steer will have segmented steering wheel as usual a serial number always helps

  3. #3Truck Shop2023-06-23 08:06

    With what you posted-command steering, plus it would not stay in a selected gear. Thankyou for your reply.

  4. #4Mobiltech2023-06-23 09:09

    when you say steering twitch I think of the old 966c loaders that had a follow up linkage that would go into a shake when the pins got some wear in them. As far as the 980g goes I have never seen a problem with twitch but the first thing I would look at is steering cylinder pin and bushing wear. The next thing would be sticking pilots in the steering control box under the cab where the steering shaft goes into.

  5. #5Truck Shop2023-06-23 09:17

    The steering wheel would start oscillating back and forth at a rapid pace, which would shake the bucket from side to side. It was interesting to operate, had to hit the brakes to stop it from doing that.

  6. #6kshansen2023-06-23 09:48

    Another thing that could have an effect is major slop in the center pins. And for that matter slop in the boom and bucket pins could have an effect on it. But agree with Mobiltech on looking for slop in the mounting pins and bushings first.

  7. #7Truck Shop2023-06-23 09:53

    I don't have to use it anymore, we are done hauling out of that pit. Just wanted to know what was the possible cause. It's had a hard life.

  8. #8Mark2502023-06-23 16:48

    i have come across something similar twice with the command steer and both times it has been a frozen slip joint between the steering wheel and command steer box lack of grease being the cause

  9. #9Truck Shop2023-06-23 17:33

    That's not surprising, Thanks.