Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

980h wheel loader

Ocka · 2020-09-20 06:49

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my thread ,I have final drive that needs the seal to be replaced on my 980h loader serial No jms 02433 ,which means I need disassemble the final drive what I was wondering if I need to remove the planetary gears seperatly or can it all come of with the final drive (basically speaking the procedure to disassemble) and could anyone tell me how much it would weigh roughly .once again thank you,ocka

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2020-09-20 08:55

    Is this any help.?

  2. #2kshansen2020-09-20 18:49

    Had to check to see if it was the same as the 980G's we had at the quarry did brakes on a couple of them, not a bad job but not a five minute one for sure. The one thing that always kind of bothered me when doing them was measuring with depth mic to adjust wheel bearings. Just was not 100% comfortable using a depth mic on a unmachined surface. Illustration #19 on page 42.

  3. #3Ocka2020-09-21 08:05

    Thanks heaps Nige and Kshansen you guys are legends the info was very handy,if I don’t need to touch the breaks can I leave them on the machine and only remove back to the wheel planetary housing to get the seal replaced which is P/N 9g-5319 or for some reason the spindle needs to come off with it ?thanks heaps ocka

  4. #4Nige2020-09-21 09:44

    If you’re that far into the wheel group I’d have a look at the brakes as well, but that’s just me....

  5. #5kshansen2020-09-21 10:04

    Agree I would do the whole job as about the only addition parts needed would be a few seals/orings to go through the brake. Quick look on SIS says those should be under $50.00 Just being that close and not laying eyes on the brakes does not seem to be a good plan of attack. On at least one of our 980G's they tried to tell me there wasn't a major problem just needed to fix one rear brake. By the time I had finished that job all four corners were off and most brake discs were replaced. Seems those brakes work pretty good right up to the end of life! Plus not really sure if you would save much time trying to do it with brake still on machine. Doing it as an assembly on a pair of heavy duty saw horses seems a better way!

  6. #6Ocka2020-10-25 19:51

    Thanks Nige and Kshansen for your help with this job I got it done and it has passed the test of time thanks so much for your help! Regards Ocka.

  7. #7kshansen2020-10-25 20:23

    Well that's good to hear another job done without getting my hands dirty! If I'm ever in Australia I'll expect a free beer!