Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

980K loader scale

980k · 2023-06-29 12:45

Hello I have a 980k caterpillar front end loader that the scales in this loader we've tried calibrating it we've had caterpillar out three or four times to work on it and they can't figure out what's wrong with it but the scales is all over the place some days it'll be right on one time you pick it up you'll dump that bucket out pick something else up and it's a thousand pounds off 2,000 pounds off heavy or light either way and trying to figure out what's up with it

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2023-06-29 14:15

    What’s the machine Serial Number and how do you calibrate the onboard weigher.? The ones I’ve worked with you needed a test weight of known mass. Left field question does the loader have autolube fitted.?

  2. #2980k2023-06-29 14:18

    Seattle lube has been taking off the machine and we haven't went into do a calibration because it says we need a password to get into the system

  3. #3Nige2023-06-29 15:08

    Give me a Serial Number at least then at least I can have a look at what the calibration procedure looks like. I don’t quite understand your comment about the presence or absence of an automatic lubrication system.

  4. #4980k2023-06-29 15:52
  5. #5980k2023-06-29 15:53

    Are you talking the automatic greaser that's on the newer cats because they've taken the one off of this loader and everything is manually greased

  6. #6Nige2023-06-29 15:57

    Yes that’s what I was asking, because sometimes a lack of grease can seriously affect a loader payload system because it depends a lot on smoothly moving linkage pins. An automatic lubrication system is the only way to go on a machine of that size class. I have a feeling (and that’s all it is) that the lack of autolube could be a lot to do with your problem.

  7. #7980k2023-06-29 16:00

    Ok thank you!

  8. #8Nige2023-06-29 16:13

    The calibration process is the same one that I’m familiar with on larger loader models. It DOES need a certified calibration weight and also needs a password to get into, as you have discovered. See the attached file I’ll be honest and say that without an autolube system on the loader I think you’re batting a loser in getting that system to perform accurately and reliably long term. Also pin & bush wear has a significant adverse influence on the payload system. Another thought. To get an accurate weight measurement it’s usually necessary to raise the bucket from almost ground level right to the upper lift kick out height which is almost full lift cylinder extension.

  9. #9kshansen2023-06-29 20:56

    Agree with Nige on the need for an auto greaser to keep things working smooth for the scales. I know they can be a pain at times but when they are working they are good. I'm thinking that an operator can have a good amount of input into how they read as well. If he is bouncing around and steering jerky that will throw the scales off. I don't recall if I had much to do with the calibration of our 980K but did it a few times on the 980Gs. Seem to recall there was an update to the pressure sensors on the 980G at one time. As for test weights we would just use a bucket of stone and after doing all the steps dump it in to a truck and have it run over the truck scales then weigh the truck empty to get the weight to enter into the scale program. Now if you don't have a truck scale at you location that would be a problem. We only used the scales on the machines to avoid over and under filling trucks. All billing was done using the drive on truck scales as they left the plant.

  10. #10Nige2023-06-30 07:10

    And I need to add what I posted above regarding lifting the loaded bucket from ground level right up to the kickout. The bucket should go right the way up from the ground in one smooth lift with little or no speed change for the whole of the process if you want to get accurate numbers.

  11. #11kshansen2023-07-01 19:54

    That's why I was saying the operator can have a major impact on how accurate the scales are. I picture most operators raising bucket while shifting from reverse while backing from stock pile and then going forwards while steering from one extreme to the other then hitting the brakes just as the bucket in high enough to clear the sideboards of the truck.

  12. #12JaredV2023-07-04 00:23

    Most everyone I've watched takes a scoop, stops, rolls the bucket all the way back and lowers the boom most or all the way. Then lifts it and mashes the throttle until the lift kickout. Some guys if they're in a hurry will lift while backing away from the pile with the first scoop and then stop and wait for it to finish raising. Some are more accurate than others but I've never paid enough attention to each operators style and accuracy to see if there's a correlation.