Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

99 bobcat 763 starter won’t crank with key only starts if i jump it at the starter

Ryan H ยท 2015-01-10 15:44

The other day we had a snow storm and i went out to start my 1999 bobcat 763 and i turn the key to the on position to lite the glow plugs. Then i turn the key to crank it over and nothing. I checked all my terminals and connections they are all in good shape. The battery is 6 months old and has plenty of amperage ( i am guessing). I own all the manuals so i set down and started reading. I read that if i could get the starter to crank by jumping it then the solenoid might be bad. Since the starter is one thing i haven't changed yet....I ordered a new one. If i turn the key to the on position and go out back with a screw driver i can jump it and it runs great. I noticed that my gauges were not working though. I needed to plow so i did. after i was done i parked it in the shop and waited for the new starter. Today the starter came so i went right out and changed it. I noticed that the person who changed this before had not correctly installed it. Meaning that the wire harness ran over the starter instead of behind. Anyways, After i was all done i rechecked my connections then turned the key and the same problem. I hear a click in the back, but the key won't turn it over. So i jumped it again to make sure i had correctly installed the starter and this time all my gauges work fine. I am thinking that it is the key ignition? but i am unsure. As we all know buying parts because you think it might be that gets really expensive. If anyone could be help that would be great Also, I just became a member and this is a really helpful forum..

Replies7
  1. #1willie592015-01-10 15:55

    Welcome to HEF Ryan H. :drinkup Does the machine have rectangle or triangle headlights?

  2. #2Ryan H2015-01-10 15:57

    the machine had rubber mounted rectangular head lites

  3. #3willie592015-01-10 16:05

    763 F Series. I don't have a manual on that model for the wiring diagrams. Maybe Crewchief888 will respond with some info.

  4. #4crewchief8882015-01-11 09:19

    my 1st guess would be a bad starter relay. :drinkup

  5. #5Ryan H2015-01-11 11:19

    I was thinking that it could be the key ignition? Before this problem once and a while the starter would stick on when the machine started. in order to shut it off i had to disconnect the battery. This problem started this past summer and happened only a couple of times. That is part of the reason i had replaced the starter. I am unsure if i need to by a new starter relay and or a key ignition. I have checked every fuse i could find in the back of the machine and they are all good. any feed back on this would be nice. I plan to order the parts tonight if i can't figure it out.

  6. #6crewchief8882015-01-11 12:52

    swap the starter relay with one of the other relays , that should tell you pretty quick. :drinkup

  7. #7antpoo2015-01-12 06:28

    Does it power up when you turn key but then just not start engine? If so, I'm pretty sure it is the relay as suggested. My machine was doing same thing today. Relay should be in fuse box.