Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450 Tachometer/ Flow Meter

JS300 ยท 2015-01-11 09:13

Hello, been lurking for a little while but this is my first post. I would like to know if anyone has added a tachometer or hydraulic flow meter to thier SS? Reason I ask is I recently purchsed a brush cutter to run on a Case 450. When I bought the cutter the advertised flow rate was 14-22 gpm well when it shows up the flow rate is 14-20 gpm. My understanding is that my machine puts out 22.1 gpm at WOT. I feel that I will be fine running the cutter but it would be nice to have some idea of engine rpm or hydraulic flow. I have looked at the Tiny Tachs and they seem easy enough to install and are allot cheaper than flow meters. I may be over thinking all this but would like a few opinions.

Replies5
  1. #1KSSS2015-01-11 11:29

    I guess more information is always better but why do you feel it is necessary? Fecon I believe mounts a flow meter on their mulcher attachment, but I don't know that it is necessary on brush cutter.

  2. #2JS3002015-01-11 12:41

    I'm just a little concerned with the hydraulic motor getting too much flow. The replacement cost is for a new motor $1,200. I did find a website earlier that listed the "loaded" flow of the 450 @ 18gpm, which does make me feel better about not ruining the hydraulic motor. I think the tachometer deal is just me not being used to running equipment that doesn't have one. This is my first SS and I feel like I have been setting the hand throttle at 2/3 to 3/4 and use the foot throttle when needed but would like to know for sure. Like I said in the first post I may be just over thinking these things.

  3. #3KSSS2015-01-11 16:32

    I think your over thinking it. The 450 is a strong machine and makes good aux. flow, but it is not going to overspeed your mower on aux flow. Now if you were running a high flow 450 at 40 gpm into your mower that would be different. However either way good luck you have good SSL.

  4. #4JS3002015-01-11 18:08

    Thanks for the help. Not many people around here run Case machines so I was a little concerned with reliability when I bought it. It's an '07 with C/A and had 1,063 hours. I bought it to do some land clearing and figured I would sell it once I finished but we use it so much we'll probably keep it. I can't believe how strong these machines are they're built like a tank. I am a little disappointed in the cab but can live with it.

  5. #5KSSS2015-01-11 18:40

    The cab on the original 400 series is not very good, especially compared to what is available now. The Series 3 machines had a better cab.