Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

99 john deere 450 heavy black smoke

jeff45 ยท 2013-09-25 18:55

i think my excavator is getting too much fuel. when I turn up the throttle the RPMs will go all the way to where they should be but if I put a load on the machine it will blow a huge amount of black smoke out of the exhaust. I think the previous owner turned up the fuel injection pump to try to get more power out of it and is flooding the machine. Does anybody know how to adjust the pump? or what else it could be? thanks

Replies10
  1. #1thepumpguysc2013-09-25 19:40

    Afew things to check BEFORE messing w/ injection pump: REMOVE all air filters ENTIRELY and check the smoke. Get someone to hold the throttle till it smokes and loosen the lines AT THE INJECTORS 1 at a time and retighten.. each time checking the smoke level at the stack..You might have a stuck open injector on 1 cylinder. Slobbering turbo[if equipped].. puking engine oil into motor.. remove the "boots" and look for oil.. you can also grab the nuts on the wheels and check for "side play".. DO NOT TRY THIS WHILE RUNNING THE ENGINE !!! If all this checks good.. I'll help you w/ the pump.. TPG

  2. #2Delmer2013-09-25 21:23

    Wouldn't hurt to see what boost pressure the engine/turbo is producing.

  3. #3fast_st2013-09-26 14:17

    as Pumpguy steals all the good answers! Maybe make sure you can crack all those injector lines before you start

  4. #4thepumpguysc2013-09-26 20:14

    I hope I'm not coming off a "a know it all"?? I've just "been there and done that".. and have the t-shirt/scars to prove it.. LOL I hope I'm helping folks out?? BYW fast.. LOL.. a clogged AIR SYSTEM will give the same symptoms WITH cracked injectors.. just a tip from your uncle larry.. lol

  5. #5fast_st2013-09-27 07:46

    Sometimes the BTDT folks are the quickest solution to the problem Before them snazzy internets you'd troubleshoot for a month and replace a bunch of parts, then you'd meet some guy at the parts counter who says, 'I had that, its the widget gasket has a crack' and sure enough...

  6. #6kshansen2013-09-27 07:49

    I hope that's not one learned by mistake. Be about like reaching into a blender running on high speed. www.willitblend.com/

  7. #77072013-09-30 02:37

    It could be as simple as a collapsed intake hose if everyt If you feel it being unusually soft it is a likely culprit.

  8. #87072013-09-30 02:39

    if everything else checks out*

  9. #9jeff452013-10-16 18:13

    Hey guys thanks for the responses, I finally got some time to look at the machine and everything you have mentioned seems to be ok.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2013-10-16 18:51

    get some #'s off the name plate on the inj. pump and maybe I can walk you thru turning it down... Think it should start w/ JDB-**** I thought for sure it would be a worn out turbo, slobbering oil..