I have a Hitachi EX300LC-3C that smokes excessively (white) when you start it up then it clears up somewhat as it gets warmer. I put new injectors in it. But as you work at higher rpms it clears up quite a bit but when you return to idle it starts to smoke again after five minutes. I have not checked the compression yet. It has the Izusu 6SD1TQA engine. Any ideas as to the cause of this, is the pump bad. The original injectors were extremely dirty. Thanks
Starting to sound like bad compression, do you have a lot of blowby? How many hours on the engine? It's not pressurizing the cooling system is it? You smell any antifreeze?
Kinda wanna agree w/d9.. Pull the dipstick and oil fill cap while its smoking.. excessive smoke from those 2 places will tell all. The inj. pumps are prone to problems but check the "blow-by" first.
It has 10000 hours, do not smell antifreeze. The top of the injection pump is seeping diesel fuel from where the injector lines attach too, under the steel plates. See picture
That pump has an auto timing advance mechanism bolted to the front drive of the pump. It works on centifigul force. it may be bad.. seen a lot of them go bad. OR the pump timing is off.[geartrain wear] If you could snap a pic of the front portion of the pump and engine I may be able to walk you thru the checks. The leaks on top are just hard orings BUT they are VERY specific to THAT PUMP..just any old oring WONT DO. The little plates are timing shims.. don't loose them or mix them up. The flange holes are slotted and used to set equal delivery on each cylinder.. YOU MUST mark them before you pull them up.. to change the orings. The banjo bolt on the supply pump, the ones that connect the fuel pipes, have a plastic/brass filter in it.. should be the 1 on the right..[cant tell from the pic] CHECK THAT..and I think theres 1 in the filter head also.
Do you want a picture of the drive portion of the pump? I cleaned the filter that is in the bolt that feeds the primer pump. I did notice one thing is that when I pump the primer it never really gets really hard to pump.
hello Mr. kdk first you should check your engine power balance check engine power balance like this start engine and run low idling then loosen 1st cylinder injector high pressure line nut and check engine condition.if that cylinder compression and injector pressure is good you will see get down the engine rpm and vibration.if not you will see no such as smoke.check all cylinder like that. than you can get a idea
here are the pictures
Your going to have to contact your dealer to find out the PUMP TO ENGINE timing *'s.. Theres a pointer on the front of the pump and a mark on the pump drive..rotate the engine by hand, line them up and see if they match the engine *'s. It might be located on the valve cover too.. Did you check the "blow-by" yet.
I will check the blow-by tonight. Are you referring to the pointer that is in the picture? The injection timing is supposed to be set at 7 degrees B.T.D.C.. Do you think the leaking on top of the pump could cause smoking? Thanks for all the suggestions.
I tried loosening up one injector line at a time and did not notice a difference in the rpm or the amount of smoke. I am not getting much blow by from the dip stick or from the oil fill cap?
some times it may be diesel block, i have experience like that (white smoke) diesel block of layland tipper. check all fuel filters.sometimes diesel line connecting benjo bolts have filters (line in feed pump,line in injector pump) otherwise defective of timing advancer
Attached are the pics of the pump timing. In the shop manual it says that the pointer should be at the "S" at T.D.C. , but it is a little below the "s" at 14 degrees B.T.D.C .. The lines are a little off, but cannot figure out which bolts to loosen to adjust it? Any suggestions? Thanks
The bolt on the bottom in the 1st [new set] pic. next to the "fat pointer". Loosen that bolt and rotate the PUMP DRIVE to align all pointers. I don't think that's going to enough to get all the smoke out but you can try.
Is that a dent in the pump drive in the second pic down in the last group?
I did loosen that bolt and stuck a screw driver in the slot to spread it. I put a wrench on one of the other bolts and the whole thing turned along with the crank, it looked like that shaft had teeth on it. I will check if it has a dent in it, I did not notice it? What do you think about the pointer and "s" Timing that they discussed in the manual? Let me know what you think. Thanks again.
As per pictures provided, timing is retard by 1 degree and this must not create a issue. Try to line up the marking on pump flywheel and marker point @ 15 degree and post feedback. Also set the Injector opening pressure at 190.
Let`s backup a bit. When you rotate the engine to get your timing marks, ALWAYS turn it in the direction of running rotation. If you go past the mark, do NOT back it up, continue around till the timing marks come up again for #1 cylinder BTDC. Valve train gear lash will cause timing headaches. Your marks on the pump side need to line up and the engine marks must align. The slotted holes in the pump allowing for final adjustment. Have you removed and checked/cleaned the filter in the banjo bolt fitting at the fuel line inlet to the pump ?
Just curious if you got the problem resolved on this. I have an ex 300 lc-3 thats doing somewhat same thing. It will smoke quite a bit when you start it up... after just a few minutes it seems to clear up and wont smoke again till it sits overnight or several hours. It has not been using oil either. The color of smoke it white to blue on first start up... ..if I shut off and restart it smokes black a few seconds and clears up. The motor is exact same as in this thread. The motor is strong and runs great but it has lots of hours on it. Just want to make sure its not real serious. Dont want to wash down a cylinder wall. Thanks for any help.
Hope this isn't thread stealing... if it is I apologize. Same machine and somewhat same problem... so I thought I would add to it. Anyway started machine up after sitting over night and it definitely smokes blue to white color till its warmed up. After that, with no load there is zero smoke. Put a load on and some black smoke but not alot. Things I checked; 1. Blow by, I had to put a small tear off paper towel to even tell if anything was coming out. It has air coming out of it... almost no smoke.(you have to look at it for a while to even see it) I will clean breather filter soon. 2. Check injectors, by this I mean i loosened each one, one at a time, till the motor had rough idle. all 6 were same sound and seemed to be working. 3. Use of oil, Since oil change have almost 2 weeks of work..70 some hours. Has not used so much as a drop of oil. 4. Just installed new turbo. I will take off air intake and check for oil in tube. Can injectors "dribble" overnight and cause this ? If they do can I pull and clean or replace ? This thing will start everytime just with the bump of the key... even after sitting for long periods. The motor seems very strong too. Any other ideas? Thanks for any help !
Valve seals can leak a tiny amount of oil into cylinders, but you are losing none. Injectors can leak down.
Appreciate the reply Mitch. If its injectors leaking down would a guy just replace them ?
On mine, it was the injectors and the pump. Mine smoked all the time though. Now it runs clean rite from the start. My injectors were a big job to get out. I talked to another person and they had the same problem with the injectors.
See if it's cheaper to buy reman, or take them to a fuel shop
Thanks guys... yeah I believe I read your thread on taking them out mr.kdk. You used another track hoe above and used come-along ? Those suckers must be really in there. Im sure mine will be the same. Do you guys have any source on new or rebuilt... ive been searching for the last 2 hours and cant seem to come up with much. Mitch, I guess any fuel shop could rebuild them ? Thanks again for your time.
You can pull the injectors with a slide hammer and a nut with the same thread pitch as the injector line. Seems to be a lot of trouble and expense for a little white smoke. So far the smoke police for off road here have no power. No one cares about a little smoke that goes away when the motor warms a bit. Just an observation.
I agree John.... only thing I was concerned about was if it would cause any damage. lol..and no smoke police here.... yet anyway ! Thanks for the post John.